Have you tried to force quite Indesign? I had issues with this a few versions ago. Ended up turning off background export for difficult files. Haven't had in a long while. What version are you using?
Thanks for responding! Unfortunately I already tried that a few times. It just keeps saying that I can't quit InDesign. I'm using the latest version (CC 2017).
I am having the same problem, did you find a solution to this?
That has happened to me the day before my final was due. It is still saying it's canceling and will not let me quit. Did you find a solution to this?
If I get your query InDesign background task is running continuously for days which is not allowing InDesign to shut down?
In order to assist further on this I would need some details like
Operating system (Exact version of MAC or Windows).
Version of InDesign
1) Try resetting your InDesign Preferences: Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow)
You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!
2) If it's still crashing try this: uninstall InDesign, using the drop-down in the Creative Cloud app (the cog icon), then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign.
3) Untick in inDesign Preferences undertake GPU Tab, tGPU Performance.
Hi, is there a solution to this? Seems like a few people are having the exact same problem as me. I can't quit InDesign because the pdf export background task wouldn't complete and now it won't cancel. I'm running OsX El Capitan version 10.11.6 and InDesign CC 2015. What can I do to force it to stop?
1 person found this helpful
What can I do to force it to stop?
You can hard reset your machine if you can't find any other way. After booting back you may want to abandon that stupid background processing and enjoy reliable foreground exporting, as it used to be:
1. Create blank text file “DisableAsyncExports.txt”.
2. Place it in:
MAC OS: /Applications/Adobe InDesign XX/Adobe InDesign XX.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt
Win OS: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign XX\DisableAsyncExports.txt
(that said, path where your ID is installed).
3. To get things back, just remove/rename that text file.
Thanks for the script. Yeah I had to do a hard reset of my Mac in the end, was the only way... luckily I'd saved before the export. I actually quite like the background processing feature, I export quite a lot of heavy documents so means I can carry on working while it does its thing, but agree it really needs to be more stable.
1 person found this helpful
Glad your issue is somewhat resolved.
If you want, can you please send me the document along with the video showing when the issue happens?
This can help us prioritize the issue for fixing in future releases..