• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Preview shows as Original Photo in Develop

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing this is something simple, but...   Lightroom version is 2015.8 on a PC.

I took a recent image in Lightroom (Nikon D810, so the image is 7360x4912 px).  Went to Library > Previews > Build Smart Preview and did.  Went into Preferences and checked Performance > Use Smart Previews instead of Originals.......

Exited Lightroom.  Restarted.  In the library, NOTHING changed.  There's no white rectangle in the top right corner of the thumbnail.  Nothing.

Select the image on which I just created the smart preview and hit "D" to develop.

In the Develop module it said "Original Photo" instead of "Original + Smart Preview"...  Thought I may just be doing it wrong.

SO, I created a WHOLE NEW CATALOG and dumped in some images from a couple folders.

Created smart previews for ALL OF THEM.

Nothing changed in Library.  Nothing visibly changed in Develop.

DELETED one of the folders of images from outside Lightroom.

Nothing changed in Library.

EXITED Lightroom AGAIN and went back in.  NOW some of the images in the Library SHOW the white rectangle in the top right corner, so I PRESUME that any editing will be done on the smart preview.

Open one of the images with the white rectangle in Develop.

Loupe information STILL shows the original, full size, AND right below the histogram it STILL SAYS "Original Photo"...

BUT, if I grab the exposure slider and shove it to +4 the image gets bright, and if I go back to the Library, it STAYS bright...

If I EXPORT the image as a jpeg, its bright and  shows a size of 2560x1700 even though I didn't crop and the original is 7360x4912.  So it APPEARS that I'm USING the smart preview, but I don't see any indication that I am.

HOW do I tell in Develop if I'm using a smart preview since the Develop module shows Original Photo instead of Original + Smart Preview or (as I believe it should in this case since the original is deleted outside Lightroom) Smart Preview?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Since you have the same issue using Smart Previews with a new catalog that eliminates your current Catalog and Previews folder as the cause. I suggest resetting the LR Preferences file as outlined here: How to set Lightroom preferences

BTW- The 'Original' raw file's resolution will still show when using Smart Previews. Also the White Badge only shows on the grid and filmstrip thumbnail if the raw file is missing. With both a Smart Preview and raw file present you should see 'Original + Smart Pre

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have the same issue using Smart Previews with a new catalog that eliminates your current Catalog and Previews folder as the cause. I suggest resetting the LR Preferences file as outlined here: How to set Lightroom preferences

BTW- The 'Original' raw file's resolution will still show when using Smart Previews. Also the White Badge only shows on the grid and filmstrip thumbnail if the raw file is missing. With both a Smart Preview and raw file present you should see 'Original + Smart Preview' in the Histogram

If you are only see the word 'Original' try clicking on it to see the Smart Preview status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI! I do not use "Smart Previews" so I cannot check what is happening here. Has anyone posted this as a Bug in the official Adobe, Feature Request / Bug report forum.

Is the use of Smart Previews in the latest update while  the Original Raw file is available functioning as designed or not?

Serious issue that needs clarification.

The Preferences when using Smart Previews instead of the Original File suggest that it will not affect the output. Users appear to be experiencing otherwise. See the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 7.51.17 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

Is the use of Smart Previews in the latest update while the Original Raw file is available functioning as designed or not?

Serious issue that needs clarification.

It's working on my Windows 7 system with LR CC 2015.8.

DdeGannes wrote:

The Preferences when using Smart Previews instead of the Original File suggest that it will not affect the output. Users appear to be experiencing otherwise. See the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 7.51.17 PM.png

When that Preferences option is checked LR uses the Smart Preview in the Develop module. The Library and Export modules will also use the Smart Preview if the original raw file is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an earlier post today, cannot appear to find it now for reference a user was reporting that exporting from a file which displayed that the original file was available that the exported file was saved at the "Smart Preview" resolution!

Now this post seams something is amiss.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work correctly on your system? Please try it and let us know. Use one raw file, create a single Smart Preview for that file, and Export full-size. Next remove the original raw file from the folder and Export full-size Export again. What do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works as expected on my system. If LR has access to the raw file it will export to the full resolution if not it export to the smart preview resolution.

System info. LR CC 2015.8

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 8.48.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines