3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 9:22 AM by chrissym93071705

Using SD Disk as Scratch on Windows 10, CC 2017?

chrissym93071705 Level 1

Hi Adobe crowd,

I'm stuck using small Asus laptop and need to use my D:\ drive (SD Disk) as a scratch disk to open files. As my current computer doesn't have enough room to open anything.

I tried the Ctrl-Alt upon open, it doesn't show.

I did the Sharing/Permissions thing where I click User/Group/Everyone, no show

I tried that with the formatting as FAT and NFTS (or NTFS etc) and still nothing shows.

Is there a magic trick I'm missing to see my SD disk show up in Photoshop? I could really REALLY use this SD disk as a memory/caching option.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Using SD Disk as Scratch on Windows 10, CC 2017?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Can you explain what an SD disk is please?

Is it an integral drive, or external?

If external, what is the interface?

• 2. Re: Using SD Disk as Scratch on Windows 10, CC 2017?
            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, Photoshop will only accept a disk that the system sees as non-removable as a valid scratch disk, to avoid a catastrophic eject.

An SD card is removable media...

Plus, I doubt that such a card would have enough bandwidth, and be "strong" enough to sustain the very large read/writes of a Ps Scratch file... Time to make room on your HDD...

• 3. Re: Using SD Disk as Scratch on Windows 10, CC 2017?
              chrissym93071705 Level 1

Hi there,

Yeah, that does make sense (to use only non-removable drives). However, there's a lot of people online with screen grabs showing that they use the option to use a SD or USB thumb as a scratch disk. Most of them are using earlier versions of Windows of PSD though.

The computer is brand new. There is nothing that I can erase. It's small. I only have like 8GB of room. But I have a 900MB file and my 4GB of RAM isn't enough to open it. I've tried a couple different memory shifts etc. but nothing that I've tried has gotten me that amount. I can only seem to get to like 400MB cache on my C:\ drive.

My SD card has 32GB so I thought that might be a valid option to use Photoshop on this computer.

I would think 32GB/4GB would be enough but I'm not sure if that's the case. There are a number of smart objects in the file but it's not massive production art. Frankly a bit surprised I can't find a way to open it.