indexing question

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current system

Win7x64PRO

C: Samsung850EVO  OS & Programs

E: Samsung960EVO  Assets and Exports currently being edited.

L: WD4TB hard drive  for archiving all video&pictures after editing.

I know that for top speed in crunching videos using PPro that it's recommended to turn Win7X64 indexing off.  After I recently replaced my 2 raid0 volumes and C:OS/Program Files, I can't find some of the files located on my new 4TB archive drive.  Using the search in Windows Explorer it can't even find the name "Steve" located in a window that's open with all the pics with the filename from the camera appended with Steve at the end of the name. 

Is it ok to turn file indexing on for the drives that are not being used for reading video assets and writing exports to?  My 960EVO is only used for processing the videos and I assume indexing should be off for this drive.

Can I turn on indexing for my C: & L:?

Or, does the indexing use too much CPU when on in the background and exporting from PPro would take much longer?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indexing on or off doesn't affect the computer's ability to search and find files, only the speed at which they are located.

disabling journaling on NTFS, on the other hand, can limit the computer's ability to recover from system crashes.

from your post, it sounds like policy-fast caching was enabled which means that after you pulled the hard drives out, they lost data.

I would use data recovery like easeus which hasn't failed me in 6 years. alternatively, you could attempt chkdsk <drive>: /r which would rewrite the journaling, but I would stop all writing to the disk and attempt data recovery first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indexing only slows things down when you write new data to a drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So If I don't turn on indexing for my 960EVO, it shouldn't slow my PPro processing any?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not know any way to edit data let alone export without indexing your every move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines