Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Free Drawing" over my video?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to get better at editing so that I can "storytell" more effectively. For the most part, I have been able to find tutorials, self-learn, and practice on my own.

However, there is one effect that I've been trying to figure out to no avail... hopefully you can guide me in the right direction?

I would like to "free draw" on my video. For example, if I want to draw attention to something, I would like to draw, in "real time," on the video and circle, create an arrow, scribble, etc.

I know how to make a scribble/arrow/circle in PS and import it, but I want something more "active" -- to make it seem like I'm actually there with the viewer and drawing on the video.

The closest thing I am able to find, I think, is the "Write On" effect... but it seems that I can't just free draw using it. I have to use the Pen tool which forces me to do Bezier curves.

It would be nice to just use a wacom tablet to write something or draw something, then have it overlayed on my video from one keyframe to the other.

Thank you all in advance

PS- I have the full creative suite so if it is something I need to do in AE, I can do that, etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Step 1 is to create the drawing either as an Illustrator or Photoshop file or sketch it as a shape layer.

Step 2 is to reveal the layer using standard masking, track mattes, or in the case of a shape layer, trim paths. You can use a mask path and Effects>Generate>Stroke to reveal the original image or put an animated stroke on a solid and use that as a track matte for your artwork. If you use shape layers as a stroked path with no fill you can simply use trim paths to achieve the animation.

This i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 is to create the drawing either as an Illustrator or Photoshop file or sketch it as a shape layer.

Step 2 is to reveal the layer using standard masking, track mattes, or in the case of a shape layer, trim paths. You can use a mask path and Effects>Generate>Stroke to reveal the original image or put an animated stroke on a solid and use that as a track matte for your artwork. If you use shape layers as a stroked path with no fill you can simply use trim paths to achieve the animation.

This is very standard stuff. Animating a signature would be a good thing to type in the search help field at the top right corner of AE. You'll find that Search Help is more effective than Google because it usually points you to better tutorials and more reliable information. Trim Paths is another good term to search for from inside AE.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to what Rick has suggested, I also recommend, in your particular case of "free" drawing, to use "paint". Click on your video layer twice to reveal the layer window, and use the paint brush in the tools panel. You can set your writing mode to write-on and it will record your strokes in real-time. (The video will freeze but the strokes will be recorded the way you draw them)

write "paint" in the search field at the upper right corner of your Ae interface to know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines