6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 3:06 AM by Steve Nicholl

Output process when there's only a small change here and there

Steve Nicholl

Hello there,

I'm in the process of outputting an AE project that takes about 7 hours to render out, but there's a good chance that the client will make a couple of tweaks here and there after the render has been done. Can someone tell me the best way to output the project once and then just make the little changes without having to output the full project again (I just don't have the time if I'm to meet the deadline)? Someone mentioned doing a targa sequence, but I didn't know if this was the best route to go down?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: Output process when there's only a small change here and there
          imeilfx Adobe Community Professional

Everything depends on what kind of changes your client will require, but image sequence is in my opinion the best way any time.
          Why?
          Because if client will require f. eg. some kind of color correction - you can do that on your already rendered image sequence and rerender it much faster.
          Because if f eg your animation is 5 min long. and cilent made changes in like 5 second of animation somewhere in the middle - you can rerender only that part and merge it with already rendered sequence.

You can also render separate comps/ layers individually (backgrounds, characters, foreground, particles etc) then when client will make change in only one layer/comp - you will render only those and merge it together when you will have final acceptation.
          Everything depends on what kind of worlk you do and what kind of changes you think client will make.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Output process when there's only a small change here and there
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Fast turnarounds are all about structuring your project suitably - splice stuff up in comps, (pre-)render intense stuff separately and reimport the resulting clips/ image sequences. No magic here, but if you manage to figure out the potentially critical spots and pack them in a separate pre-comp, all you need to do is overlay that pre-comp in the right spot on top of the original rendered sequence/ clip. just make sure you are using a suitable intermediate format with little to none compression and no loss of color fidelity. If you work in 16bpc for instance, TGAs would be unsuitable, since they are 8bpc. TIFFs or PSDs are better then.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Output process when there's only a small change here and there
              Steve Nicholl Level 1

Thanks both for your replies, it seems like image sequence outputs would be the best way to go then, so my final question would be what format would be best? TGAs, TIFFs or PSDs?

Thanks,

Steve

• 4. Re: Output process when there's only a small change here and there
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without knowing anything about your project nobody can be sure, but in the age of terabyte harddrives I guess a "better safe than sorry" approach is easy enough. Personally I always preferred TIFF sequences, anyway, since AE can load them pretty fast and scrub through them almost realtime in some situations. For the rest what I already said applies - stick with the project's native bit-depth and don't use any excessive compression.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Output process when there's only a small change here and there
                  Steve Nicholl Level 1

I'm sorry....I did say I wouldn't ask any more questions about this...but I have one more! When I output the small amended section with the client amends made, the output file name is different to the original. Which is a total pain! As it means I need to manually rename all the frames. Is there a way of outputting the new frames so that they've got the same file name as the original which means I just have to overwrite the originals with the updates? I'm using AME.

Am I making sense?

Thanks,

Steve

• 6. Re: Output process when there's only a small change here and there
                    Steve Nicholl Level 1

For anyone that has the same issue, this appears to happen when you use AME...

Naming png sequence with specific frame numbers from After Effects