4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 12:28 PM by djfilms9

AE not recognising CUDA board

djfilms9 Level 1

I have a Mac Pro 2012 tower with 2 Nvidia bonds: a GT 120 and a GTX 980 Ti with 6 GB VRAM. Running OS X 10.11.6, with 96 GB RAM. AE has disabled GPU acceleration (see attached screenshot), but the 980 Ti is a standard [and fast] board. AE doesn't even read the board correctly, as it says 2 GB VRAM, instead of the 6 GB it actually has. I verified that the drivers are up to date. Is there anything else I need to do to enable the GPU acceleration?

Any advice gratefully received.

AE-GPU-error.jpg

• 1. Re: AE not recognising CUDA board
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CUDA is no longer being developed because NVIDIA changed the direction of their development mid stream and the technology never lived up to expectations for Adobe anyway. I would not worry about it and I would not try and use Ray-traced rendering for any paid work because it's dodgy and your projects will take forever to render.

If you want to use Ray-Traced like effects in AE then upgrade to CC 2017 and use the C4D rendering engine. It works a lot better.

• 2. Re: AE not recognising CUDA board
            djfilms9 Level 1

Rick, thank you for your reply. I was hoping that the Nvidia board would accelerate normal rendering (not ray-tracing). I do not want to upgrade to CC... the internet connections here are dodgy at best, so I'm a great fan of working locally and having all my stuff on my computer. Thank you for the clarification. regards.

• 3. Re: AE not recognising CUDA board
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CUDA does nothing at all for rendering normal comps. Never has and was not intended to. In fact, if you enable CUDA you can only do so in Ray-traced comps and you loose things like blend modes and effects so it's a loose loose situation at best. The only gain is bending some types of layers and extruding others. That's it...

• 4. Re: AE not recognising CUDA board
                djfilms9 Level 1

Rick Noted. I was in error thinking that CUDA accelerated normal rendering [I use Vray and CUDA makes a HUGE difference]. So i'm stuck with very slow AE render rates, I guess. regards.