release button for doing this.

Cheers

Os
        • 1. Re: CS4 Question
          Level 7
          Hummm..... well is it just control click on the tab and 'Move to new
          Window'. Not that good really because it seems once its been detached
          from the tab panel you cant put it back from where it came unless you
          close it and re-open it, it that correct?

Thought you might just be able to drag out of the panel and drag it back.

Osgood wrote:
          > You know when you have several documents open at the same time DWCS4
          > tabs those across of the active document like:
          >
          > doc1.html | doc2.html | doc3.html | doc4.html |
          >
          > How do I release a particular document from the tab so its in its own
          > window?
          >
          > I'm just finding my way around CS4 at the moment and cant seem to find a
          > release button for doing this.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Os
          • 2. Re: CS4 Question
            Level 7
            Sorry - I don't understand what you mean 'release from the tab'. Do you
            want free-standing windows? Then just use WINDOW | Tile
            Horizontally/Vertically.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
            news:gfepti$g7k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > You know when you have several documents open at the same time DWCS4 tabs
            > those across of the active document like:
            >
            > doc1.html | doc2.html | doc3.html | doc4.html |
            >
            > How do I release a particular document from the tab so its in its own
            > window?
            >
            > I'm just finding my way around CS4 at the moment and cant seem to find a
            > release button for doing this.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Os

• 3. Re: CS4 Question
              Level 7
              Are you talking about the 'related files' listing that is UNDER the tabs for
              the document names?

If you right click on one, and select "Open as separate file" is that what
              you mean?

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gfeq95$gqp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hummm..... well is it just control click on the tab and 'Move to new
              > Window'. Not that good really because it seems once its been detached from
              > the tab panel you cant put it back from where it came unless you close it
              > and re-open it, it that correct?
              >
              > Thought you might just be able to drag out of the panel and drag it back.
              >
              >
              >
              > Osgood wrote:
              >> You know when you have several documents open at the same time DWCS4 tabs
              >> those across of the active document like:
              >>
              >> doc1.html | doc2.html | doc3.html | doc4.html |
              >>
              >> How do I release a particular document from the tab so its in its own
              >> window?
              >>
              >> I'm just finding my way around CS4 at the moment and cant seem to find a
              >> release button for doing this.
              >>
              >> Cheers
              >>
              >> Os

• 4. Re: CS4 Question
                Level 7
                Murray *ACE* wrote:
                > Sorry - I don't understand what you mean 'release from the tab'. Do you
                > want free-standing windows? Then just use WINDOW | Tile
                > Horizontally/Vertically.
                >

Yeah that does the same thing as control clicking on the tab and
                choosing 'Move to new window'

I would like to be able to have dragged the file from the tab panel
                across the top of the window say into the existing document window and
                it opened the file I was dragging in a new window. Then be able to drag
                the new window back to tab panel and it goes back from where it came.
                Would have been nice

I saw a video tutorial of Photoshop CS4 this morning where it seems that
                is possible, so I thought it might be possible in DWCS4
                • 5. Re: CS4 Question
                  Level 7
                  I'm not sure what you are wanting to accomplish with this. By just clicking
                  on the related file name, you get to edit its source. What more do you
                  need?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gfer6m$i1h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                  >> Sorry - I don't understand what you mean 'release from the tab'. Do you
                  >> want free-standing windows? Then just use WINDOW | Tile
                  >> Horizontally/Vertically.
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  > Yeah that does the same thing as control clicking on the tab and choosing
                  > 'Move to new window'
                  >
                  > I would like to be able to have dragged the file from the tab panel across
                  > the top of the window say into the existing document window and it opened
                  > the file I was dragging in a new window. Then be able to drag the new
                  > window back to tab panel and it goes back from where it came. Would have
                  > been nice
                  >
                  > I saw a video tutorial of Photoshop CS4 this morning where it seems that
                  > is possible, so I thought it might be possible in DWCS4

• 6. Re: CS4 Question
                    Level 7
                    Murray *ACE* wrote:
                    > I'm not sure what you are wanting to accomplish with this. By just
                    > clicking on the related file name, you get to edit its source. What
                    > more do you need?

I was impressed by the way in the Photoshop tutorial video you could
                    drag the tabs into the active window and they would open in a new window
                    and then when you were finished editing you could drag them back into
                    the tab panel from where they came........a simple process.

In DWCS4 you have to control click>open in new window or go to
                    window>tile and then when you're finished editing to get it back into
                    the tab panel in the original document window, from where it came, you
                    have to close it and reopen it.

• 7. Re: CS4 Question
                      Level 7
                      > In DWCS4 you have to control click>open in new window or go to window>tile
                      > and then when you're finished editing to get it back into the tab panel in
                      > the original document window, from where it came, you have to close it and
                      > reopen it.

Look - the related files bar only shows *related* files, like CSS, js, etc.,
                      i.e., those that are referenced on the current page. When you click on one
                      of the related file names, you get to see that file's code in the code view.
                      Why do you need to see more than that?

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:gfet27$kdk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                      >> I'm not sure what you are wanting to accomplish with this. By just
                      >> clicking on the related file name, you get to edit its source. What more
                      >> do you need?
                      >
                      >
                      > I was impressed by the way in the Photoshop tutorial video you could drag
                      > the tabs into the active window and they would open in a new window and
                      > then when you were finished editing you could drag them back into the tab
                      > panel from where they came........a simple process.
                      >
                      > In DWCS4 you have to control click>open in new window or go to window>tile
                      > and then when you're finished editing to get it back into the tab panel in
                      > the original document window, from where it came, you have to close it and
                      > reopen it.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: CS4 Question
                        Level 7
                        Murray *ACE* wrote:

> Look - the related files bar only shows *related* files, like CSS, js,
                        > etc., i.e., those that are referenced on the current page. When you
                        > click on one of the related file names, you get to see that file's code
                        > in the code view. Why do you need to see more than that?

No, I think you're reading this incorrectly and possibly the way I'm
                        describing it doesn;t help.

Along the top of the page in Dreamweaver CS4 I get more than just
                        related files to the particular file I have open.

If I have say doc1.html and doc2.html in my site folder then I'll have
                        this in the tab panel:

doc1.html | doc2.html

If I click on either, the related page obviously appears in the 'open'
                        window so I can then edit it either in code view or design view, right?

Now say for instance I want to see doc2.html in a stand alone window
                        because I want to see the visual design side-by-side with doc1.html, right?

It would have been nice to have been able to have dragged the tab for
                        doc2.html onto the open doc1.html window and for it to open in a new
                        window instead of having to mess around completely detaching it from the
                        tab panel by one of the two method I described in my previous post,
                        right, are ya with me lol?

Then once I finished viewing doc2.html it would have been nice to have
                        been able to drag it back to the tab panel from where it originally
                        came. You cant do that you have to close the document and reopen it
                        again for it to appear back in the tabbed panel again in doc1.html

• 9. Re: CS4 Question
                          Level 7
                          > If I click on either, the related page obviously appears in the 'open'
                          > window so I can then edit it either in code view or design view, right?

Yes - right.

> Now say for instance I want to see doc2.html in a stand alone window
                          > because I want to see the visual design side-by-side with doc1.html,
                          > right?

OK - I understand. You would use WINDOW | Tile Horizontally/Tile Vertically
                          (on Mac, it's WINDOW | Tile) for that.

> Then once I finished viewing doc2.html it would have been nice to have
                          > been able to drag it back to the tab panel from where it originally came.

You would undo the tiling by clicking on the maximize icon on one of the
                          tiled documents (on the Mac, you would use WINDOW | Combine as Tabs).

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:gfeu8b$m0j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                          >
                          >> Look - the related files bar only shows *related* files, like CSS, js,
                          >> etc., i.e., those that are referenced on the current page. When you
                          >> click on one of the related file names, you get to see that file's code
                          >> in the code view. Why do you need to see more than that?
                          >
                          > No, I think you're reading this incorrectly and possibly the way I'm
                          > describing it doesn;t help.
                          >
                          > Along the top of the page in Dreamweaver CS4 I get more than just related
                          > files to the particular file I have open.
                          >
                          > If I have say doc1.html and doc2.html in my site folder then I'll have
                          > this in the tab panel:
                          >
                          > doc1.html | doc2.html
                          >
                          > If I click on either, the related page obviously appears in the 'open'
                          > window so I can then edit it either in code view or design view, right?
                          >
                          > Now say for instance I want to see doc2.html in a stand alone window
                          > because I want to see the visual design side-by-side with doc1.html,
                          > right?
                          >
                          > It would have been nice to have been able to have dragged the tab for
                          > doc2.html onto the open doc1.html window and for it to open in a new
                          > window instead of having to mess around completely detaching it from the
                          > tab panel by one of the two method I described in my previous post, right,
                          > are ya with me lol?
                          >
                          > Then once I finished viewing doc2.html it would have been nice to have
                          > been able to drag it back to the tab panel from where it originally came.
                          > You cant do that you have to close the document and reopen it again for it
                          > to appear back in the tabbed panel again in doc1.html
                          >

• 10. Re: CS4 Question
                            Level 7
                            Murray *ACE* wrote:

>> Then once I finished viewing doc2.html it would have been nice to have
                            >> been able to drag it back to the tab panel from where it originally came.
                            >
                            > You would undo the tiling by clicking on the maximize icon on one of the
                            > tiled documents (on the Mac, you would use WINDOW | Combine as Tabs).
                            >

Ha right that's better but its still a bit of an effort to keep going up
                            to 'window' then scrolling down to 'combine as tabs'

Sounds like this 'maximize icon' only on the windows version I assume
                            does the job more quickly and effectively.

Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                            files all opening in the same window?

Cheers

Murray
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Question
                              Level 7
                              > Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the files
                              > all opening in the same window?

If you arrange your files to Tile, and then close DW, that's how it will
                              open the next time.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

news:gfevrj$o52$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                              >
                              >>> Then once I finished viewing doc2.html it would have been nice to have
                              >>> been able to drag it back to the tab panel from where it originally
                              >>> came.
                              >>
                              >> You would undo the tiling by clicking on the maximize icon on one of the
                              >> tiled documents (on the Mac, you would use WINDOW | Combine as Tabs).
                              >>
                              >
                              > Ha right that's better but its still a bit of an effort to keep going up
                              > to 'window' then scrolling down to 'combine as tabs'
                              >
                              > Sounds like this 'maximize icon' only on the windows version I assume does
                              > the job more quickly and effectively.
                              >
                              > Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the files
                              > all opening in the same window?
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              >
                              > Murray

• 12. Re: CS4 Question
                                Level 7
                                Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                >> Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                                >> files all opening in the same window?
                                >
                                > If you arrange your files to Tile, and then close DW, that's how it will
                                > open the next time.
                                >
                                okie dokie. I'll keep that in mind should I not get used to the files
                                opening all in one window. I can see some benefits which might outweigh
                                the negatives.

Thanks
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Question
                                  Level 7
                                  Osgood wrote:
                                  > Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                                  > files all opening in the same window?

If you're on a Mac, go to Dreamweaver > Preferences. In the General
                                  category, deselect the option to open documents in tabs.

--
                                  David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                                  Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                                  Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                                  http://foundationphp.com/
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 Question
                                    Level 7
                                    David Powers wrote:
                                    > Osgood wrote:
                                    >> Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                                    >> files all opening in the same window?
                                    >
                                    > If you're on a Mac, go to Dreamweaver > Preferences. In the General
                                    > category, deselect the option to open documents in tabs.
                                    >

Thanks David. I'll keep that in mind. I'm an old f--t that gets a bit
                                    stuck in my ways. I don't adapt well to change lol.
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 Question
                                      Level 7
                                      Osgood wrote:
                                      > David Powers wrote:
                                      >> Osgood wrote:
                                      >>> Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                                      >>> files all opening in the same window?
                                      >>
                                      >> If you're on a Mac, go to Dreamweaver > Preferences. In the General
                                      >> category, deselect the option to open documents in tabs.
                                      >>
                                      >
                                      > Thanks David. I'll keep that in mind. I'm an old f--t that gets a bit
                                      > stuck in my ways. I don't adapt well to change lol.

Its taken long enough to even consider an upgrade :)

--
                                      Posting Guidelines
                                      http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                                      How To Ask Smart Questions
                                      http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 Question
                                        Level 7
                                        Dooza wrote:
                                        > Osgood wrote:
                                        >> David Powers wrote:
                                        >>> Osgood wrote:
                                        >>>> Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                                        >>>> files all opening in the same window?
                                        >>>
                                        >>> If you're on a Mac, go to Dreamweaver > Preferences. In the General
                                        >>> category, deselect the option to open documents in tabs.
                                        >>>
                                        >>
                                        >> Thanks David. I'll keep that in mind. I'm an old f--t that gets a bit
                                        >> stuck in my ways. I don't adapt well to change lol.
                                        >
                                        > Its taken long enough to even consider an upgrade :)
                                        >
                                        yeah.......however I'm not sure that I've missed much to be honest. Most
                                        work seems to have gone into integrating things like spry and a lot of
                                        work seems to have been done on the css side of things to make it easier
                                        for those that don't hand code it. This upgrade has included stuff like
                                        freeing the code, which will most likely be useless to me lol

I guess I use DW more as a bare-bones tool these days and so I sort of
                                        find the upgrades a bit disappointing.

• 17. Re: CS4 Question
                                          Level 7
                                          Osgood wrote:
                                          > Dooza wrote:
                                          >> Osgood wrote:
                                          >>> David Powers wrote:
                                          >>>> Osgood wrote:
                                          >>>>> Do you know if there is an override preference in DWCS4 to stop the
                                          >>>>> files all opening in the same window?
                                          >>>>
                                          >>>> If you're on a Mac, go to Dreamweaver > Preferences. In the General
                                          >>>> category, deselect the option to open documents in tabs.
                                          >>>>
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Thanks David. I'll keep that in mind. I'm an old f--t that gets a bit
                                          >>> stuck in my ways. I don't adapt well to change lol.
                                          >>
                                          >> Its taken long enough to even consider an upgrade :)
                                          >>
                                          > yeah.......however I'm not sure that I've missed much to be honest. Most
                                          > work seems to have gone into integrating things like spry and a lot of
                                          > work seems to have been done on the css side of things to make it easier
                                          > for those that don't hand code it. This upgrade has included stuff like
                                          > freeing the code, which will most likely be useless to me lol
                                          >
                                          > I guess I use DW more as a bare-bones tool these days and so I sort of
                                          > find the upgrades a bit disappointing.

I am only using CS3 at work because when I started over a year ago they
                                          asked me what I needed and I said Dreamweaver, so they go me the current
                                          version. I was on DW8 before that, and found the differences minor. I
                                          hear whats great in CS4, but haven't gotten around to seeing if it
                                          changes my work flow/productivity. I will do before the 30 days is up :)

Dooza