• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Not evaluating precomped expressions

People's Champ ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange (or par for the course, I suppose).   I have a number of shapes with wiggle expression pre-composed.

In the main composition, when I drag the CTI the expressions evaluate fine.  But when i play back,  via whatever the preview is called now, the expressions DO NOT evaluate.   It's not a refresh issue because when I stop the preview the shapes do not jump to a new position.

I've tried different resolutions.

I've tried with and without rasterization.

& I've tried rendering to a final format.

For whatever reason the expression evaluate when I drag the CTI but not on playback or rendering.

Latest greatest version of After(thought) Effects

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Yah so...another post about expressions caused me to revisit the example video I made and I realized what the problem was.

The problem was that I'm occasionally a complete idiot.

The expression was working fine.  It was just moving extraordinarily slow.

When I dragged the CTI across the timeline I was covering a huge number of frames so the wiggle was apperent.

However upon playback it was nearly imperceptible due to the numbers I had plugged in.

All hail the power of stepping away from a problem for

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW....Since I posted this I received 3 separate emails saying the post was approved.  One of them I believe was in German?

WTH is going on?

LOL.jpg

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really odd. I haven't seen that happening on my systems. (The Wiggle thing, that is, not the multiple approvals - those are fairly common.)

This is the recent update to 14.1.0, right? What OS? I'll see if I can make it happen on my machine. You wouldn't happen to be able to share the project file, would you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi my favorite Szalam,

I unfortunately cannot share the project file for legal reasons but I tried to reproduce the issue in a clean project and could not.  So it may be a project specific problem.  Or it may have even been a session related issue as i have been having those lately.

Sometimes after I've been working for a few (or more) hours weird things will start to happen and I need to quit and restart AE to get them to behave normally. 

Oh...Windows 10.

AE 14.1.0.57

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds really frustrating.

What happens if you import that misbehaving project into another one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll get back to you on that.  I quickly just dumped the wiggle expressions (they didn't look that great anyway) and moved on because I needed to submit the project & move on to others in my queue.   When get around to it I will reopen the project to see if it was session related & then try importing to other projects.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, let us know Gutter-Fish. For sure, file a bug.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yah so...another post about expressions caused me to revisit the example video I made and I realized what the problem was.

The problem was that I'm occasionally a complete idiot.

The expression was working fine.  It was just moving extraordinarily slow.

When I dragged the CTI across the timeline I was covering a huge number of frames so the wiggle was apperent.

However upon playback it was nearly imperceptible due to the numbers I had plugged in.

All hail the power of stepping away from a problem for awhile & then revisiting it. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gutter-Fish  wrote

All hail the power of stepping away from a problem for awhile & then revisiting it. 

I think we've all been there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines