7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 8:14 AM by Per Berntsen

LR Catalog Size

Afterimage Level 1

My LR catalog is 21GB & seems to keep growing. I have 2015.8. It has never been this high and I have not added any significant amount of raw photos.

My catalog settings are:

2048 Pixels (high resolution monitor)

Medium quality

Discard previews after one week.

I have 23,000 in one catalog.

What can I do to reduce the size of my catalog?

• 1. Re: LR Catalog Size
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure that's not including the previews folder?

I have 18,000 photos and the catalog (.lrcat) is 405 MB

My previews folder (.lrdata) is 6.7 GB, and I have standard sized previews.

• 2. Re: LR Catalog Size
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

My stats are as follows.

Files in my Catalog (mainly 99% raw files) 31,951.

Total file size of imported files 369.5 GB

Catalog.lrcat file size 569 MB

Catalog.lrcat.previews file size 44.7 GB (not many 1:1 previews)

Smart Previews. Zero.

• 3. Re: LR Catalog Size
              Afterimage Level 1

If I am discarding previews after one week the previews should be decreasing. I see no change  in previews.

• 4. Re: LR Catalog Size
                KR Seals Level 1

I don't think you got Per's point. Are you looking at the size of the FOLDER which includes the catalog ???.lrcat and the previews folder?

• 5. Re: LR Catalog Size
                  Afterimage Level 1

You are correct. The catalog size is 857MB while the Previews are 20GB. So the message I get when I close LR that my catalog is over 4GB is not something I should be concerned with.

Still not sure why my previews are not decreasing in size since they should go away after 1 week.

• 6. Re: LR Catalog Size
                    dj_paige Level 9

The 4GB message is a bug, it is wrong, and so you will just need to click the box to ignore this message.

• 7. Re: LR Catalog Size
                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The previews that will be discarded after a week are the 1:1 previews.

Your 2048 px previews are regular previews, and will never be deleted, unless you delete the preview cache folder.

If you do that, Lightroom will recreate previews as needed - i.e. it will not create previews for a folder until you view that folder in the Library. So if you have folders that you rarely look at, there is a chance that it will take some time for your previews folder to grow to the size it had originally.

The downside is that the first time you browse any folder after deleting the preview cache, LR will take some time to recreate the previews.

The 4 GB message is a bug, and can be ignored.