8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 4:37 PM by BarbBinder

Linking or referencing text through document, Auto Find and Replace?

smithgroupla

Hi All,  I'm trying to create a text document (a contract for services) in InDesign (CS6).  I want to be able to create a place holder in certain areas that change from project to project and be able to have them filled out automatically by filling out some text elsewhere on the document.  For example, I want to be able to fill in X, Y and Z below to have it automatically filled in the paragraph below.

XX: New Single Family Home

YY: $20,000 (Twenty Thousand Dollars)

ZZ: 6 weeks

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Smith,

Thank for contacting our office for your "XX" project.  Based on this scope of work, I propose a fee of "YY" and a timeframe of "ZZ".  Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to working with you soon.

I figured I would use the last page of InDesign to setup a series of AA, BB, CC .... XX, YY, ZZ, AAA, BBB, CCC ... etc. that I would fill in and it would automatically populate the rest of the contract before.  The easiest way would be to do find and replace but I don't want to do that because I have somewhere close to 40-50 occurences of these reference type lines.

I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you all in advance.