3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 2:14 AM by Dzedimainas

Custom print button to print from different drawers

Dzedimainas

Hi all,

I have a from consisting of 5 pages. A few of the pages have to be printed on both sides of thick paper, which is located in a separate printer drawer. The printer has 3 drawers. Using the default print dialog is fairly cumbersome, as I have to enter the page numbers manually, select or deselect "print on both sides", select the drawes, etc... Since the printing has to be done quickly, there's lots of waste of paper as mistakes happen. So, I would like some help in designing a button which will print:

1. page 1 from drawer 1, one sided.

2. page 2 & 3 from drawer 2, two sided.

3. page 4 & 5 from drawer 1, one sided.

Looking forward to your assistance.

• 1. Re: Custom print button to print from different drawers
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's possible to use a script to print specific pages of a file using a specific printer, and it's also possible to specify whether or not it should print on both sides (and along which edge of the page to flip it), but I don't think it's possible to specify a specific drawer, unless each drawer is defined as its own printer.

What is possible, though, is to tell the printer to select the paper tray based on the paper size, but if the sizes of all pages are identical then it will probably not work in your case.

• 2. Re: Custom print button to print from different drawers
            Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

Talk to the printer manufacturer and see if they have a way to accomplish this. It is possible that you can create a new instance of your printer that has these settings associated with it (you would then have your generic printer to select from, and a second one that printed to the same physical printer, but with specific print settings). In the script, you would then select to print to this 2nd printer without specifying any print settings, and therefore the settings associated with the print queue will be used. How this is done depends on the printer, so only your printer manufacturer or their support department can provide this information.

• 3. Re: Custom print button to print from different drawers
              Dzedimainas Level 1

Thanks.

I can't add another printer as I am not an admin. Is there any chance to reference printing profiles of the printer through javascript?

Thanks again.