5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 5:23 AM by alice_data

Creating Animation Using Flex?

alice_data Level 1
      Hi,

This may seem like a dumb question, but I am wondering if anyone has tried creating a "flash movie" with frames similar to what Flash has without "using Flash." Is this possible? If yes, does anyone know any good references or information sources to how to create Flash movie using Flex?

Thanks in advance.

Alice
        • 1. Re: Creating Animation Using Flex?
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          See "Essential Actionscript 3.0" by Colin Moock.

It has a chapter on animation in AS.
          • 2. Creating Animation Using Flex?
            Peter Lorent Level 2
            That would depend on the type of animation. A lot of animation can be done just using code. And if you want you can use tweening libraries like Tweener, TweenMax, GTween and the like in Flex.
            But there are also animations that are very hard to do in code and with the new Flash CS4... well, it's just more efficient to use the timeline with keyframes. And since Flexbuilder (or any other IDE which you can use to write mxml) doesn't have a timeline you cannot create animations with keyframes. But even that won't prevent you to do all the coding in Flexbuilder or using the Flex SDK to build your project. You can bring in Flash content using the Flash Component Kit For Flex that allows you to convert a Flash movieclip to a Flex Component (or skin, or Flex Container). There you have it: the best of both worlds come together... awesome.
            • 3. Re: Creating Animation Using Flex?
              alice_data Level 1
              Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am trying to create something similar to a timeline that might need to include time frames, so I suppose that using Flex and Flash is a better choice.
              Just out of curiosity, I have installed Flex as it is without selecting additional options throughout the setup. If I am to combine Flex and Flash together, would I have to install anything else?

Thanks again.

Alice
              • 4. Creating Animation Using Flex?
                Peter Lorent Level 2
                Yes. On the Flash side you need to install the Flex Component Kit For Flash CS3 (also works in CS4) which you can download here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=flex_skins#fxcompkit using the Extension Manager.

(That is if you want to use the Kit to convert the Flash symbol(s) to Flex Components/Skins/Containers. You can also load a swf generated with Flash using the SWFLoader in Flex or embed the swf or one of the symbols in the swf... hmm, lots of options, but I would opt for the Kit, it's really awesome)
                • 5. Re: Creating Animation Using Flex?
                  alice_data Level 1
                  Thanks, everyone. I think I will give this a shot.