5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 11:15 AM by TᴀW

Simple PDF exporting script from InDesign

dicom75886549 Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying for the beginning of my planned script to just export a simple PDF to a destination with the Scripting UI. Here is my code:

var genFenster = new Window ("dialog", "PG beta");

// Knopf für das generieren vom PDF Dokument

var genKnopf = genFenster.add ("button", undefined, "Generieren");

genKnopf.onClick = function () {

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType, File("testDocument.pdf"), false);

}

genFenster.show ();

Tried to debug it inside ExtendScript but it just enters a loop where it cannot force InDesign to finish it. I've marked with the red color where ExtendScript gets stuck.

Please help me get this started.

• 1. Re: Simple PDF exporting script from InDesign
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try something like this:

var genFenster = new Window ("dialog", "PG beta");
              genFenster.close(100);
              }
          var result = genFenster.show();
          if (result === 100){
            app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType, File("testDocument.pdf"), false);
          }

The problem with your script is that a modal dialog is open, and when it's open, InDesign can't do anything.

The solution is to close the dialog, and then perform the required InDesign function.

the close() function of a window can take any number, and it is passed to the show() method, so that way you can check what button was pressed, close the window, and act accordingly.

Ariel

• 2. Re: Simple PDF exporting script from InDesign
            dicom75886549 Level 1

Thanks man, it works. I can develop it further now. Weird approach. It's important that I understand your code since I need to develop it to reopen the dialog after the export completes.

• 3. Re: Simple PDF exporting script from InDesign

If you need to reopen the dialog, you may be better off doing things differently.

Instead of using a "dialog"-type window, use a "palette" type window.

Palette-type windows are modeless (like InDesign's Find/Change dialog), which lets the user do things in InDesign even while the dialog is open.

However, it gets a little fiddly with a palette, because as soon as it is opened, the script terminates, and then it is destroyed, so it disappears.

The solution to that is to create a custom script engine, which is much easier than it sounds. So, modifying the example as follows should do the trick:

#targetengine MyNewEngine
              var genFenster = new Window ("palette", "PG beta");
              }
              genFenster.show();

(By the way, your original suggestion of reopening the window after closing it doesn't work. I seem to recall that once a window is closed, it can't just be reopened with myWindow.show() again...)

Edit: Sorry, I've corrected the script here now (the first version in this post was not demonstrating the use of a palette properly).

• 4. Re: Simple PDF exporting script from InDesign
                dicom75886549 Level 1

I've tried it with doScript but your solution is far better. This settles my first step towards my automation script. Thanks so much. Looks like I need to read more into the documentation. I was aware of pallete type just was to scared to implement it, because I was not sure if it would make problems in the future. Seems like it's totally fine.

• 5. Re: Simple PDF exporting script from InDesign

Peter Kahrel makes it all seem so easy:

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/scriptui.html

Highly recommended!

Ariel