• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR opens NEF without previously applied settings

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes a RAW (NEF D800) file that has had previously applied edits (settings, brushes, gradients, etc) re-opens without these edits. I save the versions by creating snapshots. The edits are saved in the XMP sidecar file.

Sometimes it will apply an earlier version, but not the latest one. If I make a new snapshot of the first version it may work, in that case v1 works, v2 does not and v3 does.

Bonus: sometimes after clicking on the various snapshots, a dead one may come to life. Sometimes it very briefly flashes and dies again...

I use ACR as my main image editor, so there are many edits applied, most of them with brushes that often overlap. I lost hours of work during the last week.

Latest version of ACR en PS CC2017 on latest version of MacOS Sierra.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Goos van der Veen,

Please try reinstalling the camera raw plugin: -

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sahil, thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay.  Unfortunately, your suggestion did not solve the problem. I recently updated PS (CC2017) and ACR to their latest versions, and after that reinstalled ACR as you suggested.

I was just working on a previously edited NEF file. I stored the original edits by making a snapshot called v3, then applied new edits using the brush tool, saved it with snapshot v4, opened it in Photoshop and saved it as a TIFF and printed it.

I wasn't fully satisfied with the print, so went back to the NEF and it opened correctly with v4 settings. I adapted a few edits, saved the result in snapshot v5, and opened it in Photoshop and saved it as a TIFF again.

Again I decided that it wasn't perfect yet and reopened the NEF in ACR. This time it opened with global edits only, but without any local (brush) edit. However, if I click on snapshots V4 and V3, all edits, both global and local, are shown correctly.

Closing and reopening the NEF nor quitting and restarting Photoshop make a difference. I opened the XMP file with a text editor and can see that the data for v5 is in the file, but I'm not an XMP expert and cannot tell if there are any errors in it. The XMP's file size is 2.3MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines