I am also having the problem that ADE freezes and then shuts down. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, unauthorize and reauthorize, download an older version, install a different browser ie Firefox and still no luck.
For a year I had 3.0 on my desktop, and then it stopped opening, so I had to use 2.0. On my new computer, 4.5 worked for 6 months, and now it doesn't. I've uninstalled and re-installed every version, and only 1.7 opens, but it won't read the acsm's that my library lends me.
I'm down to one book on my Kobo, and it's not a good one!
Janessa, I have solved it with the help of my Library who forwarded my problem to Overdrive. Here is their response:
Thanks for contacting OverDrive Support Services. I'm sorry you're having trouble with this. Please take the following steps to see if it corrects the issue:
- Delete the eBook from Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and close the app.
- Search your computer for all eBooks and delete each copy you find.
eBooks are usually found in [My] Documents > [My] Digital Editions.
- Delete the contents of the tasks and failed folders in [My] Documents > [My] Digital Editions > restore.
- Delete your temporary internet files. This step is extremely important.
- Close and reopen your web browser.
- Try downloading the eBook again.
Let me know if this works for you!