4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 6:31 AM by ThinkInk

Changes to Contribute Connections - a howto?

jvr
      Hello all...
      have one client who we host for that uses Contribute - and we're about to change servers for them, but I've no idea (and they don't either) as to "what" to do to allow them to connect to the new server. They do have a pretty simple connection key, so what I'd like is a how-to on how to change that for the new server. Perhaps it's as simple as changing the IP or some such item...but as we dont' own same I've no idea on how to accomplish this. Is there someone here who can provide a short quick stepbystep guide to same?

Jim
        • 1. Re: Changes to Contribute Connections - a howto?
          ThinkInk Level 2
          You'd best create new Connection Keys from you own copy of Contribute (as the administrator) and send these keys (with the new connection info) to your users.
          • 2. Re: Changes to Contribute Connections - a howto?
            Level 7
            I have exactly the same problem. It seems like I can't edit the connection
            key and that I have to create the Publisher settigns all over again.
            Furthermore, after doing that (I administer the site from DW 2004), the new
            role settings won't stick. They are gone the moment I close the dialog.

What I would like to do if possible would be to:
            1) Just change the connection settings to the new server in the old
            connection key.
            If that's not possible, I would like to:
            2) Import the old Publisher role settings. It seems however like they are
            stored on the old server to which I no longer have access, and the domain is
            moved of course, so the http address and the ftp address don't match any
            longer.

Lars

"jvr" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> skrev i meddelandet
            news:gd50dl$6p6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello all...
            > have one client who we host for that uses Contribute - and we're about to
            > change servers for them, but I've no idea (and they don't either) as to
            > "what"
            > to do to allow them to connect to the new server. They do have a pretty
            > simple
            > connection key, so what I'd like is a how-to on how to change that for the
            > new
            > server. Perhaps it's as simple as changing the IP or some such item...but
            > as we
            > dont' own same I've no idea on how to accomplish this. Is there someone
            > here
            > who can provide a short quick stepbystep guide to same?
            >
            > Jim
            >

• 3. Re: Changes to Contribute Connections - a howto?
              jvr Level 1
              Ah...but the problem is we're the web host only for this client...we do not own Contribute NOR know how to use same...

Surely there have been "others" in the same boat as us, ie we need to provide the ability to connect and use the Contribute app to our clients....but know nothing about same.

Do you or does anyone know, will Adobe provide this to us?

Jim
              • 4. Re: Changes to Contribute Connections - a howto?
                ThinkInk Level 2
                I hope I understand correctly what you try to do. I understand that you want to move the website of a client of yours to another server, with different ftp-settings as a consequence.

The connection key your client has is provided to him/her by someone who does have Contribute and is the administrator of the website. The key is creatd by him/her and is encrypted and contains ftp-settings. It's encrypted, so you cannot edit the key...

When the website is moved to another location, he/she should set up the new connection with the new ftp-settings and send the user a new key.

Alternative is that the user (your client) sets up a new connection him/herself using the new ftp-settings that you can provide them with.