Did you create these links in Acrobat, or where they converted from another application? If the latter, what was the source format, and how did you convert it, exactly?
I must admit, I did create them in another application.
I used Nitro to create but I'm now editing in Adobe DC. Is there any fix for this within Adobe? Even when I remove and add the link again in Adobe it still tries to redirect to the local disk.
What exact steps are you taking when you add the link in Acrobat?
OK... so I went back to the PDF to retrace my steps when removing link and adding again and it seems to actually work now!
I am right-clicking on the link, selecting 'Delete Link', then Edit PDF, highlight URL, 'Create Link', 'Open A Webpage', retyping the URL and it seems to work! No longer redirecting to the local disk.
This was not the case last night but I suspect perhaps I was trying to delete the link using a different method - probably by Edit PDF -> deleting the URL text, rewriting it, and then Creating a Link but I suspect that deleting the URL and rewriting it may still mean that the faulty Nitro code is there. Right?
Fingers crossed, this is now sorted. I will go back and try and relink everything in the document now.
OK - a new update. I realise now that I am struggling to change links that have a hyphen in them. The method above does not work and any links with a hyphen are continuing to link to the local disk.
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
What do you mean? You're creating a link to a web-page with a hyphen in the URL and it's pointing to a local file??
It's trying to open the hyperlink on my local disk.
For example - link created is www.test-link.com
Instead of opening this URL in my internet browser, it changes the URL to :///C:/Users/MyName/Documents/www.test-link.com which obviously does not open in the browser.
It's trying to open the link on the local disk where the PDF file is located. Very confusing and frustrating.
Right - I think I may have found a solution. If I remove the link and DON'T try to add it again, Adobe seems to then recognise the link in its correct form after I have deleted the original link.
It must be an issue with originally creating this PDF in Nitro where I had to specify that I wanted all the URLs to be hyperlinked. It looks like Adobe does this as the norm without having to select anything or tell it to do so!
Fingers crossed this is now sorted.
Acrobat and Reader and some other PDF viewers do this by default - that is, link from valid URLs in the text.
I think your problem comes if you were really typing "www.test-link.com". This is a valid URL meaning "a file called www.test-link.comin the same folder as the current file". What you are missing is the http:// at the start. Browsers assume this by default, but most other things do not.