3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 12:00 PM by harleygnuya

Layers Panel is disabled

harleygnuya

I opened a TIFF file in PS CC and everything in the layers panel is disabled.  I cannot select the one and only layer, all the controls are grayed out.  I can do nothing with layers.  When I go to the Layer dropdown menu, almost everything is grayed out.  I can't even create another layer.

Could it be related to the fact that this file is a large 22610 x 10000 pixel, indexed color 8 bits/channel image?  I opened another similar file and am having the same problem with it.  But, I am able to open other, much smaller, TIFF files and they act normally.

I searched through the forum and didn't uncover anyone else who was having this problem.

Any ideas what may be causing this, and what I can do about it?

Thanks,

Ken

• 1. Re: Layers Panel is disabled
          harleygnuya Level 1

I forgot to mention that when I try to use the Straighten Layer function of the ruler, I get an error message, "The command 'Set' is not currently available."  Could this be related to the fact that I don't have the layer selected (because I can't select layers)?  (This is what led me to discover that the Layers panel was disabled.)

• 2. Re: Layers Panel is disabled
            davescm Adobe Community Professional

harleygnuya wrote:

Could it be related to the fact that this file is a large 22610 x 10000 pixel, indexed color 8 bits/channel image? I opened another similar file and am having the same problem with it. But, I am able to open other, much smaller, TIFF files and they act normally.

Thanks,

Ken

Not the size - but the indexed colour. Change it to RGB mode (Image - Mode - RGB Color) and all will be well

Dave

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Layers Panel is disabled
              harleygnuya Level 1

Thanks, Dave!  That was it.