1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 10:21 AM by JimHess

cr2 files not supported

sergiof47237448

hello guys, I've a question.

Lightroom (5.7.1) converts correctly .nef files, but when I try to import .cr2 files from my canon camera, it shows me that lightroom can not support this raw files.

So, I must to convert my cr2 files into dng with dng converter, then I can import them. Is it normal? In this way is there a loss of quality? Is there any difference in the final result if I make my changes (contrast, exposure etc. ) in dng instead cr2?

• 1. Re: cr2 files not supported
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it normal? Yes, if you are using an older version of Lightroom that doesn't support your camera and will not be updated anymore, then converting to DNG is the normal route to go unless you want to upgrade to a newer version. The DNG file is simply a new container for the same raw data that is in your original raw file. I have converted and compared the final results. There is virtually no difference in quality in the DNG file. The only downside is that it takes a little longer to go through the conversion process. Newer versions of Lightroom will probably support your camera, and could possibly have better processing capabilities. Here is a link to the list of cameras supported by Lightroom and the minimum version required to have support for the native raw files.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw