12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 2:35 PM by kglad

Help need to create Complex Text shape

Single_Ton
      Hi All

i am developing a web based flash application. using that you can create your own Greetings and many more similar designs.

Application requires some complex Text Shapes. i am blank about that part. Below is a url to see some complex text shape. Any kind of help to over come this would be really help full for me...

. http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/6554a4944e.jpg

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you can use the displacementmap filter to do that and more.
          • 2. Help need to create Complex Text shape
            Single_Ton Level 1
            Hi i have Tried my level Best,
            But unable to get the out put successfully

Here is the Source file i have tried. For testing purpose i have created Gradient MovieClips Manually
            The Linear Gradient is Used to generate Bigger to Lower Text shape.

And the Gradient is used to generate the Arch Text (But nothing happened :( )

Please Help me to come out from this.

http://www.box.net/shared/6nalt3oblq

• 3. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
              Single_Ton Level 1
              i am blank,
              Any Help would be really appreciated

Thanks .
              • 4. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                there's no problem with your code but i'm not sure you're going to see anything useful unless you're looking for y displacement based on blue values.

in particular, it's not clear there's any alpha gradient in your bitmaps so it's not clear you'll see any x displacement.

and you might try setting xDiff and yDiff both equal to zero.
                • 5. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                  Single_Ton Level 1
                  Thank you very much kglad.

I tried to get the Text Scale increasing From small to Large Using this Linear Gradient.
                  After reading your post i tried to set the xDiff and yDiff to 0 , Now i am getting Skewed Text.
                  (Previously Both the MovieClips are in the same position os it will come near zero)

Both of My sample tried to Affect only the Y Pixels so i used componentX to alpha.
                  First Displacement is to create Increasing Scale Effect.
                  Second Text Bottom should be concave But Top , Left, Right Should be as it is.

First of all i can't able to understand the Logic of the Displacement Map filter clearly.

Please help me to get the out put
                  • 6. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                    i don't know any way to make it easy to understand how to control the displacementmap filter. but controlling the displacementmap filter can be done (check my website under snippets/displacement map where i repeatedly create new bitmaps that will distort the text based on the position of a moving object.)

because of my mathematics training i prefer to view the displacementmap filter as a normalized displacement. if you check the formula for how destination pixels are mapped from source pixels, it looks a lot like the normalization done for a variable that has a normal distribution where the mean is subtracted and that result is divided by the standard deviation.
                    • 7. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                      Single_Ton Level 1
                      Thank you very much KGLAD. i will have a look at your DISPLACEMENT FILTER Explanation.

really i can't able to image how it works when i read the adobe documentation....

I am not that much Good in Maths.
                      • 8. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                        Single_Ton Level 1
                        Is it possible to get the code for Displacement sample you used?
                        i need code for the "EUCLIDEAN" effect you gave.

i hope i can able to understand it by seeing the code.

Or Please Guide me to get the curved Text using the Displacement Map Filter.

• 9. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                          this is as3, but all the displacement stuff is the same in as2:

• 10. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                            Single_Ton Level 1
                            Hi KGLAD,
                            Thank you very much...

Sorry for the Late reply (I was on Sick Past few days)
                            I will Try to learn from this code....

Thanks a LOTTTTT...........

• 11. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                              jameslytle Level 1
                              You guys seems a bit ahead of the curve in regards to text shapes... Any help simplifying how i could achieve this would be greatly appreciated: (I just posted this in another topic)

///

I would like to have the dynamic text scale within a given area despite how many characters are passed into it as my value from FlashVars.

So whether the dynamic name is "Jon" or "Jonathon" for example, the name should not appear any wider than the space I choose.

Could someone give me some pointers for achieving this?

Thanks in advance,
                              James
                              • 12. Re: Help need to create Complex Text shape
                                you're welcome st.

js, as i mentioned above:

i don't know any way to make it easy to understand how to control the displacementmap filter. but controlling the displacementmap filter can be done (check my website under snippets/displacement map where i repeatedly create new bitmaps that distort the text based on the position of a moving object.)

because of my mathematics training i prefer to view the displacementmap filter as a normalized displacement. if you check the formula for how destination pixels are mapped from source pixels, it looks a lot like the normalization done for a variable that has a normal distribution where the mean is subtracted and that result is divided by the standard deviation.