Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Purging the Cache in Bridge

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately, as I've been using Bridge, I've received a message that states:

"Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct the situation."

From what I've researched, purging the cache seems like a safe option, but I'm relatively new to Bridge, and I'm just not clear on what purging the cache does. I just want to make sure that I'll still have all of my images to work with and that nothing will be erased.

Any help is appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you visit a folder Bridge generates thumbnails and saves those thumnails in the cache.

Purging the cache in fact means those thumbnails are deleted. This does nothing to the actual images.

Bridge regenerates them again when visiting the folder. So nothing to worry about albeit it can take a while on large folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally to Ronald’s reply, it is not just the thumbnail, it is other data such as metadata. For example, if you update the Keyword metadata outside of Bridge in another app, the keyword may not update until Bridge has been exited/opened again or the cache for the image or folder has been purged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

Does purging the cache (specifically when using the "Automatically purge stale items older than 30 days" feature) delete the keywords or collections associated with the images? Or does it exclusively clean up thumbnail/preview performance? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

It holds small preview data to help thumbnail preview performance.

Whether or not it improves actual performance is up to debate.

I have a very fast machine and it does not show a marked improvement in speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines