8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 5:58 AM by Ussnorway

Navigate buttons via arrows

Amado Nadeem

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to Muse, so I didn't know whether there was any particular term to describe the element I'm trying to put together.

I want to create a site with four (circular) buttons next to one another in the centre of the page. There will be about six to eight of these buttons in total, but I only want to show four at a time, with an arrow left and right of them, in order to move back and forth.

Can anyone guide me how to go about implementing this or are there any existing posts on the subject?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• 1. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows
          ankushr40215001 Level 7

I am assuming that your need a slideshow type of layout which can be controlled by left and right arrows, and the buttons in center will act as triggers?

Regards,

Ankush

• 2. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows
            Ussnorway Adobe Community Professional

Amado Nadeem wrote:

I want to create a site with four (circular) buttons next to one another in the centre of the page. There will be about six to eight of these buttons in total, but I only want to show four at a time, with an arrow left and right of them, in order to move back and forth.

what happens when these buttions are pressed... does a new page appear, a photo displays, some music or other file (like a movie pops up)?

• 3. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows
              Amado Nadeem Level 1

Thanks for the responses. I have come up with a solution - which I'll tell you about in a moment - that I am okay with for the time being. I do however find that it is perhaps more of a workaround than a proper solution, so I would appreciate any input as to how it could be solved otherwise, since I am trying to understand the possibilities of Muse better.

I have used a blank composition in which I have hidden the triggers (no fill, no stroke), since I do not need them at all. I have placed my buttons in the target area(s) and then simulated all possible button combinations via a number of triggers/target areas and the user can move through all those combinations by clicking prev and next.

In other words, if you think of the composition as a number of "slides" (although I know it's not termed slides in Muse), then slide one shows button 1, 2, 3. The user clicks right - buttons 2, 3, 4 appear. The user clicks right again - buttons 3, 4, 5 appear, etc.

I have also created each button as a tool-tip composition, so that when I hover over the button a short description appears underneath. Apart from that, the buttons basically are links that will take the user either to another anchor on the same page or a different page altogether (not decided yet how to structure the website).

Does that make sense to you?

As I mentioned, any input is welcome.

• 4. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows

Amado Nadeem wrote:

Does that make sense to you?

As I mentioned, any input is welcome.

I'm finding it hard to picture... please press 'publish' to upload it to a temp (free) Adobe bc site then post the url so we can have a look?

• 5. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows
                  Amado Nadeem Level 1

Will let you have a look as soon as I'm back at the PC I was working on (not my own) - probably by the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,

Nadeem

• 6. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows
                    David Asch Adobe Community Professional

Your solution makes perfect sense and is the method I would have suggested. I don't think there's any other way of doing this in Muse without resorting to custom coding.

David

Creative Muse

• 7. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows
                      Amado Nadeem Level 1

Thanks David. Gives me reassurance to hear that this is the sort of standard solution.

@Ussnorway: Go to HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More and scroll all the way down to the "Traveler Favorites" section. You'll find a very similar element like the one I put together, except that in my case you'll click on the images as links, not the text below.

Kindly notify me if posting this link is not okay according to forum rules - obviously no advertisement is intended here. I'm just still not back at the computer I worked on initially, so I thought I'd already post a reply and this is all I had at hand as a reference.

Kind regards,

Nadeem

• 8. Re: Navigate buttons via arrows

Amado Nadeem wrote:

@Ussnorway: Go to HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More and scroll all the way down to the "Traveler Favorites" section. You'll find a very similar element like the one I put together, except that in my case you'll click on the images as links, not the text below.

I find it counter intuitive because I expect an image to popup, not be carried off onto another page but I see your issue... and agree that your idea works