6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 12:51 PM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles

Focus-Dexter
      My company has been using Flex Builder 3 for a while now and hadn't really had any issues. We recently moved to a new building and deployed a new infrastructure. We moved from a workgroup environment into a full Windows Server Domain environment with roaming profiles. Since then, we have had issues getting Flex Builder 3 to work properly. In order to get it to work, we must install it with the administrator account (trying to install FB3 with a user account that has administrator rights still generates errors on install.) You can run FB3, but you cannot search for new features to install, or view help.

If, however, you run FB3 as administrator, you can access those features fine. This has been quite annoying and I've not been able to find any solutions to this. Does anyone here have any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles
          Level 7

"Focus-Dexter" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gdaav8$d5f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > My company has been using Flex Builder 3 for a while now and hadn't really
          > had
          > any issues. We recently moved to a new building and deployed a new
          > infrastructure. We moved from a workgroup environment into a full Windows
          > Server Domain environment with roaming profiles. Since then, we have had
          > issues getting Flex Builder 3 to work properly. In order to get it to
          > work, we
          > must install it with the administrator account (trying to install FB3 with
          > a
          > user account that has administrator rights still generates errors on
          > install.)
          > You can run FB3, but you cannot search for new features to install, or
          > view
          > help.
          >
          > If, however, you run FB3 as administrator, you can access those features
          > fine.
          > This has been quite annoying and I've not been able to find any solutions
          > to
          > this. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Er, that's what restricted rights are about. Talk to your IT department
          about reevaluating the restricted rights.

• 2. Re: Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles
            Focus-Dexter Level 1
            All the accounts we are using have full administrator rights and should have no restrictions, which is why the problem doesn't seem to make sense. Everyone in our IT group (most of which are using the tool) have the same issue and all of us are setup with full admin rights.
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles
              Level 7

news:gdacsl$fjj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > All the accounts we are using have full administrator rights and should
              > have no
              > restrictions, which is why the problem doesn't seem to make sense.
              > Everyone in
              > our IT group (most of which are using the tool) have the same issue and
              > all of
              > us are setup with full admin rights.

You said this:

> If, however, you run FB3 as administrator, you can access those features
              > fine.
              > This has been quite annoying and I've not been able to find any solutions
              > to
              > this. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Which makes me think that there's something else going on. You're either
              running as administrators or not...? If this is Vista, you could try
              turning off the UAC.

• 4. Re: Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles
                Focus-Dexter Level 1
                Like I said, it seems like an odd situation. All of the computers are Windows XP Pro SP3. Our user accounts are all granted administrator rights for the system. I really don't understand why running Flex Builder as local machine or domain administrator works any differently than running Flex Builder as a domain user with administrator rights. It seems fair to assume that there is a rights issue somewhere, but I have no clue what folder(s) may be the cause of it. I'm looking into the idea of disabling roaming profiles on one of the accounts so that all files will be stored locally but would rather avoid making changes like that if possible.

I've searched a lot for answers to this (assuming others must have had experienced similar if not the exact same issue... but I've come up empty handed.

I suppose if I knew every path that FB needed permissions to in order to work properly, I could manually configure permissions as well. Ah well, back to scratching my head :)
                • 5. Re: Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles
                  Level 7

news:gdagk3$kgu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Like I said, it seems like an odd situation. All of the computers are
                  > Windows
                  > XP Pro SP3. Our user accounts are all granted administrator rights for
                  > the
                  > system. I really don't understand why running Flex Builder as local
                  > machine or
                  > domain administrator works any differently than running Flex Builder as a
                  > domain user with administrator rights. It seems fair to assume that there
                  > is a
                  > rights issue somewhere, but I have no clue what folder(s) may be the cause
                  > of
                  > it. I'm looking into the idea of disabling roaming profiles on one of the
                  > accounts so that all files will be stored locally but would rather avoid
                  > making
                  > changes like that if possible.
                  >
                  > I've searched a lot for answers to this (assuming others must have had
                  > experienced similar if not the exact same issue... but I've come up empty
                  > handed.
                  >
                  > I suppose if I knew every path that FB needed permissions to in order to
                  > work
                  > properly, I could manually configure permissions as well. Ah well, back
                  > to
                  > scratching my head :)

Hm, on XP I can't guess what the problem would be. Probably there is some
                  variable path that it needs that isn't returning the same path string under
                  the scenario that doesn't work. So you might have rights to it, but it's
                  not where FB thinks it is.

• 6. Re: Flex Builder 3 + Roaming Profiles
                    C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

If you have experienced this issue and would be interested in trying a pre-release build of Flash Builder Burrito that has this issue fixed, please email me at cagruss at adobe dot com, and also copy our Product Manager Andrew Shorten (shorten at adobe.com).

This doesn't address the problem of Eclipse Updates, for which you still will need to Run as Administrator, but it does resolve install and launch time problems with Roaming Profiles and Redirected user folders on FB4+ versions.

-Chris