15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 6:32 PM by ryecooder

Is it possible to use GIF in XD?

tulipmetabolic Level 1

Dear all,

I am quite new to the Adobe suit, and I only Googled whether a GIF could be imported to XD; the answer was yes. However, after a day of playing with After Effects and Photoshop to create my very first GIF, and importing it into XD: it doesn't work!!

After a more thorough search online it seems that indeed we can't use any animations in XD? Seriously? Can anyone confirm / tell me loopholes to show the client the gif in the presentation?

And yes, I have seen the discussion, however this discussion has been going on for ages! No updates?

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Flora

• 1. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Flora-

You're right, you can't import animated GIFs yet, only static GIFs. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to import animation in at the moment, though it's something we're looking at in the longer term. We do have a number of features we want to put in first that would allow for more expressiveness, so you can expect to see improvements over the upcoming year as we grow XD. Thanks for hanging in there with us!

-Elaine

3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
            tulipmetabolic Level 1

Hey Elaine,

Thanks for the update. What i'm reading from your response is that it can actually take a few years still?

Either way, I love the Adobe suit, though this is just an important missing element!

Cheers,

Floor

• 3. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
              adam.id Level 1

Is there any timetable for this feature? It's so essential to get buy-in from non-designers, it bothers me to have to use InVision or Proto.io just to add video or GIFS, as their software isn't nearly as user-friendly...

• 4. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                Fieldinspired Level 1

Hi there,

Many thanks for your post.

The web/apps etc are packed full of animations and video elements these days - how can an app designed to be a prototype tool not allow for any animated elements... seems an odd one to have missed out.

Is this going to be added anytime soon? I really hope so- I think UX is one of the most exciting of all your new apps... but this really lets it down. I've read at least 50 posts about this subject today - so it should be bumped up your list

Huge love for the work you've done.

Richard

• 5. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                  Yellow Cat Design Level 1

Completely agree with this. A project that I'm working on has now come to a standstill because one of the screens requires an animated element. It's very unprofessional to have to present the prototype to my client and have to point them elsewhere to see the animated element.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                    pankajjuvekar Level 1

Hi there! Any updates on this? I also want to use an animated GIF for my project. I have a series of screens in my XD prototype and only one of them has animated content, such as highlighting a part of UI and make that highlighting element disappear within 2 seconds. The entire XD demo is helping us understand overall user flow but that only one screen I am not able to create in XD itself since there is no support for GIFs. I wish we could use different image formats in XD.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                      str3ss Level 1

elainecc Checking in on this 12 months on.

This seems like such a huge hole in the capabilities of AdobeXD. Being able to add animated gifs and or videos would go such a long way to the amount of detail that could be shown in the hi-fi prototypes XD creates.

At least 1500 other people agree...

Import Videos & Animated GIFs to show in interactive preview – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Hopefully this will show up in XD soon.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                        elainecc Adobe Employee

Thanks for highlighting this – we’re aware of it and are actively working on increasing our prototyping fidelity! Stay tuned…

-Elaine

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                          taniav49220624 Level 1

Hi,

Any news on the video or animated gif feature for XD? Or at least an estimated time of release?

• 10. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                            marit41003351 Level 1

Elaine,

Please give us an update when we are able to add videos/gifs to XD? Is this going to happen in next few months or another year?

Thanks

Mari

• 11. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                              umadevi Level 1

you really need to add this feature. It's ridiculous not being able to use animated gifs or video in a paid-for prototyping app!

• 12. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                                NeilUX@Cubiks Level 1

And still a year later, nothing has been implemented to cope with the need to add animated GIFs.

#IsAdobeListening

• 13. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                                  xolad62815537 Level 1

Clearly Adobe is not listening to the needs of users. Still no animated GIFS in Adobe XD

• 14. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                                    ryanh8879706 Level 1

They recently released an update for Adobe XD with the ability to use overlays in the Prototype view—you can fake a drop down menu or popup window/graphic/screen—to appear on top of an artboard.

While you still can't use the imported GIF and have its animation play automatically, for now, I found a pretty crude workaround. For simple GIFs like loading spinners or bars, you can treat them as overlays. For example, a loading spinner like this:

15-rules-14.gif

What I did was create 4 artboards for the spinner animation where I copied and pasted the GIF on each artboard. I set the first one to an overlay that would be triggered by a button on the site. Then I rotated the image 90 degrees on each successive artboard, and set each up as an overlay that would be triggered by clicking on the spinner, basically creating a loop. So when you click the spinner image, it advances to the next rotated image in sequence, and keeps them all as an overlay on top of the initial homepage artboard.

Here's a basic video showing how it works in preview mode. I click the button, the spinner artboard pops up as an overlay, and then I can click the spinner graphic to rotate through my spinner artboards to simulate the spinner animation.

animatedGIF_loadingspinner_62618.gif

Maybe they will fix this in the next update release and have support for GIFs to play automatically, but hopefully this works as a crude workaround for somebody.

• 15. Re: Is it possible to use GIF in XD?
                                      ryecooder Level 1

This Adobe reply was over 6 MONTHS ago!  I love the evolution XD but accommodating animated GIFs is not something that takes this long. An epic oversight. I love adobe but some decisions seem so wrong. Like ditching Edge Animate for example without any adequate replacement. HYPE will have been very happy though haha.

Please please please can Adobe update XD to allow animated GIFs!

Thanks