8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2017 7:20 AM by Kukurykus

Getting a value instead of setting a value

simene49649793 Level 1

I'm still trying to learn my way through AM code in Photoshop, and to be honest it's still 99% guessing

So with the script listener it's pretty easy to create most of the stuff I want, that goes for everything that involves setting values. I was wondering if anyone could please explain how you go about getting values?

The example-code below will disable "Hyphenate" on the selected text layer

var desc1 = new ActionDescriptor();

var actionRef = new ActionReference();

actionRef.putProperty(charIDToTypeID("Prpr"), stringIDToTypeID("paragraphStyle"));

actionRef.putEnumerated(charIDToTypeID("TxLr"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt"));

desc1.putReference(charIDToTypeID("null"), actionRef);

var desc2 = new ActionDescriptor();

desc2.putBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("hyphenate"), false);

desc1.putObject(charIDToTypeID("T   "), stringIDToTypeID("paragraphStyle"), desc2);

executeAction(charIDToTypeID("setd"), desc1, DialogModes.NO);

How would you go about changing this code so that it retrieves the "Hyphenate" value of the selected text layer instead?

• 1. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

for an example

function getBrushFeatures (){

//A Brush tool must be the current tool

if (!app.toolSupportsBrushes(app.currentTool)) selectBrush();  //CC 2014

var ref = new ActionReference(); 

ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("capp"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") ); 

var appDesc = executeActionGet(ref); 

var toolDesc = appDesc.getObjectValue(stringIDToTypeID('currentToolOptions')); 

var brushDesc = toolDesc.getObjectValue(stringIDToTypeID('brush'));

var currDiameter = brushDesc.getDouble(stringIDToTypeID('diameter')); 

var currHardness = brushDesc.getDouble(stringIDToTypeID('hardness')); 

var currAngle = brushDesc.getDouble(stringIDToTypeID('angle')); 

var currRoundness = brushDesc.getDouble(stringIDToTypeID('roundness')); 

var currSpacing = brushDesc.getDouble(stringIDToTypeID('spacing')); 

var currFlipy = brushDesc.getBoolean(stringIDToTypeID('flipY')); 

var currFlipx = brushDesc.getBoolean(stringIDToTypeID('flipX'));

var currentFeatures = new Array( currDiameter, currHardness, currAngle, currRoundness, currSpacing, currFlipy, currFlipx );

return currentFeatures

}

• 2. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
            simene49649793 Level 1

Thank you JJMack, but in my case it says that the requestet property does not exist when I try to get the "hyphenate" value

actionRef.putEnumerated(charIDToTypeID("TxLr"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt"));

var actionDes = executeActionGet(actionRef);

actionDes.getBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("hyphenate"));

When getting the keys contained in the descriptor I only get these:

name,color,visible,mode,opacity,layerID,itemIndex,count,preserveTransparency,layerFXVisibl e,globalAngle,background,textKey,layerSection,layerLocking,group,targetChannels,visibleCha nnels,channelRestrictions,fillOpacity,hasUserMask,hasVectorMask,proportionalScaling,layerK ind,hasFilterMask,userMaskDensity,userMaskFeather,vectorMaskDensity,vectorMaskFeather,boun ds,boundsNoEffects,useAlignedRendering,generatorSettings,keyOriginType,fillEnabled,animati onProtection,artboard,artboardEnabled

Se neither "paragraphStyle" or "hyphenate" seems to be available from my ActionDescriptor?

• 3. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
              pixxxel schubser MVP & Adobe Community Professional

simene49649793

the following is only „DOM-Code“ and not AM-Code.

But perhaps it helps a little.

var doc = activeDocument;
              if (doc.activeLayer.kind  == LayerKind.TEXT) {
                  var myText = doc.activeLayer.textItem;
                  alert(myText.contents)
                  alert(myText.hyphenation)
              }

Have fun

• 4. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
                simene49649793 Level 1

pixxxel schubse: Thank you, that's the way I have been doing it until now. The reason I am asking about AM-code is that DOM-code is so slow compared, so I'm trying to figure out how to understand AM-code 

• 5. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
                  simene49649793 Level 1

I gotta ask though, does anybody actually understand AM-code? Like in the way that you can write AM-code in a logical sense without having to clip out parts from example-codes? Even though I'm comfortable with Java and Python, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around AM-code Even with the example provided by JJMack I don't get it, I really do try, but I feel like I'm hitting the wall on every single approach I take

• 6. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
                    Kukurykus Adobe Community Professional

simene49649793 How did you get keys continaed in descriptor (blue font) ?

I tried this but is there any way to set a length of  my loop (I had to set infinite and then to catch error when it's ending)

function cTT(v) {return charIDToTypeID(v)}; function sTT(v) {return stringIDToTypeID(v)}

(ref = new ActionReference()).putEnumerated(sTT('textLayer'), sTT('ordinal'), sTT('targetEnum'))
                    dsc = executeActionGet(ref); for(i = 0;; i++) try{alert(typeIDToStringID(dsc.getKey(i)))} catch(errEnd) {}

• 7. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
                      simene49649793 Level 1

Kukuryku: I did it like this:

var actionDes = executeActionGet(actionRef);

// Create a variable to store keys contained in the descriptor

containedKeys = new Array;

// For each key in the Action Descriptor

for(itmIndex = 0; itmIndex < actionDes.count; itmIndex++)

{

// Get the current key, and store it as a StringID

containedKeys.push(typeIDToStringID(actionDes.getKey(itmIndex))));

}

• 8. Re: Getting a value instead of setting a value
                        Kukurykus Adobe Community Professional

Thank You, I also changed last version of my script, and did new one in DOM:

$.level = 0, function cTT(v) {return charIDToTypeID(v)}; function sTT(v) {return stringIDToTypeID(v)}

(ref = new ActionReference()).putEnumerated(sTT('textLayer'), sTT('ordinal'), sTT('targetEnum'))
                        for(dsc = executeActionGet(ref), txt = '', i = 0; i < dsc.count; i++) txt += typeIDToStringID(dsc.getKey(i)) + '\n'
                        alert(txt)

txt = ''; for(i in activeDocument.activeLayer.textItem) txt += i + '\n'; alert(txt)

As you see there are twice more positions :/

so if DOM is based on ActionManager I guess, why aren't they available from AM too (just only 30)?