7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 2:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

png or jpg

Level 7
      I am creating graphics for a web site. Can I keep them all as png files or
      do i have to export as jpg to upload them?
      Many thanks

• 1. Re: png or jpg
          Sharkmenace
          png files can be large. Depending on the content of the graphic you should choose between .gif and .jpg. Select a suitable compression ratio and test it in your (or your neighbor's) browser.
          • 2. Re: png or jpg
            Level 7
            Thanks thats what I thought but would i be advised to keep a copy of the png
            files somewhere on site

"Sharkmenace" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gd2nma$c70$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > png files can be large. Depending on the content of the graphic you should
            > choose between .gif and .jpg. Select a suitable compression ratio and test
            > it in your (or your neighbor's) browser.

• 3. Re: png or jpg
              Level 7
              Judy wrote:
              > I am creating graphics for a web site. Can I keep them all as png files or
              > do i have to export as jpg to upload them?

You can use PNG files on a Web site but they must be *exported* as PNGs
              rather than saved as PNGs.

Here's a tutorial on optimizing images with FW you might find useful.
              http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/images/fw_optimize/index.htm

--
              Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              • 4. Re: png or jpg
                Level 7
                There are two 'kinds' of PNG in the sense that you are using it (I believe):

1. FW native PNG - not suitable for web use because it contains oodles of
                information about layers, and palettes and other FW stuff. File size is
                monster.
                2. Exported PNG (available as 8bit, 24bit, 32bit) files. The former is
                excellent to use in place of GIF images (i.e., where you need transparency,
                or when working with line art images). The 24bit is marginally useful for
                photographic-quality images since the file size is so large). The 32bit is
                even larger!

A real advantage of PNG format is that you can have levels of transparency,
                or multiple transparent colors, so when used with suitable, small dimension
                images you can achieve some interesting effects.

PNG images are completely web compliant, and have been for years. The only
                problem with them is when you use them as background images with IE6 and
                earlier. In that case you would need to use one of the several well
                publicized javascript fixes for IE.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"Judy" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
                news:gd2q3b$eub$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks thats what I thought but would i be advised to keep a copy of the
                > png files somewhere on site
                >
                > "Sharkmenace" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                > news:gd2nma$c70$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> png files can be large. Depending on the content of the graphic you
                >> should choose between .gif and .jpg. Select a suitable compression ratio
                >> and test it in your (or your neighbor's) browser.
                >
                >

• 5. Re: png or jpg
                  Level 7
                  Macromedia, and now Adobe, should have changed the file extension used for
                  Fireworks "native" files so there would be less confusion.

Good candidates:
                  .FW
                  .FPNG

Any number of options that could have been used, and still could be used.

• 6. Re: png or jpg
                    pixlor Level 4
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    Macromedia, and now Adobe, should have changed the file extension used for
                    Fireworks "native" files so there would be less confusion.

Good candidates:
                    .FW
                    .FPNG

Any number of options that could have been used, and still could be used.

There was a long thread on this... Summarizing some comments from memory:
                    - Yes, it can be troublesome and confusing if you produce flattened .png files as you run the risk of overwriting your Fireworks source file. Developers need to be careful. (Note that this is also true of any .psd source file that is flattened for output, as well.)
                    - The .png format allows extensions and so the Fireworks format is still a valid .png file. It will even open in a browser; the browser simply ignores the proprietary section.
                    - One person (I forget who) recommended using a double extension for Fireworks source files .fw.png. (I thought it was a good suggestion, and I've started using that convention.)
                    • 7. Re: png or jpg
                      Level 7
                      Thanks folks that has really helped. Always learn lots when I come on here.

"Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
                      news:gd31bg$n0e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Judy wrote:
                      >> I am creating graphics for a web site. Can I keep them all as png files
                      >> or do i have to export as jpg to upload them?
                      >
                      > You can use PNG files on a Web site but they must be *exported* as PNGs
                      > rather than saved as PNGs.
                      >
                      > Here's a tutorial on optimizing images with FW you might find useful.
                      > http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/images/fw_optimize/index.htm
                      >
                      > --
                      > Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
                      > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
                      > --------------------------------------------------------------