5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 7:16 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom set up on an external drive

abigailh50962009

The destinations folder "/volumes/ Lightroom Library_17_2017 is not available using pictures folder. I have tried so many time to point it to my external drive.. I honestly do not know what I ma doing wrong... I have been using Lightroom for years and never had this issue. I really need to start a new catalogue for 2017 and it keeps wanting to put in in my pictures folder on my hard drive. Cannot find any answers in all the forums. Can someone help please.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom set up on an external drive
          dj_paige Level 9

I really need to start a new catalogue for 2017 and it keeps wanting to put in in my pictures folder on my hard drive.

The normal advice is to keep all your photos in a single catalog file. That would be extremely simple to do.

If you really need to start a new catalog, you use the Lightroom menu command File->New Catalog and give the new catalog a name, select a location, and press OK (or Create or whatever the word is, I don't remember).

• 2. Re: Lightroom set up on an external drive
            abigailh50962009 Level 1

Thanks but this is not useful, I have done that and need to have the catalogue reside on an external drive, which it is not letting me do. I have done the setting up bit it just will not let me import images to that drive only to Pictures folder on my main internal drive on my laptop

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 8.04.12 AM.png

• 3. Re: Lightroom set up on an external drive
              dj_paige Level 9

The error message means that there is no such folder, or that you do not have write access to that folder, or perhaps the drive isn't formatted properly.

Can you show us the screen capture of the Import dialog box where you scroll down on the right hand side, so we can see what you are selecting under Destination on the right hand side.

• 4. Re: Lightroom set up on an external drive
                abigailh50962009 Level 1

Thanks but I cannot do anything as as soon as I import the card it brings up the message and i must choose the pictures folder, so I cannot even access the right side of lightroom. I have been using lightroom since v1 this has never happened before... its quite frustration.. really not sure what i am doing wrong. I am using a passport drive.

When I formated the drive I tried to make it a GUID but it would not let me. Then tried mac also faild and only as master boot did i get to format the drive... I dont know if this maybe the issue. It does not matter what drive I try to format I get the smae issue where it will not allow me to formate it as GUID/Mac journaled.

• 5. Re: Lightroom set up on an external drive
                  dj_paige Level 9

What happens if you click on OK? Doesn't the Import dialog box work properly then? Can't you then choose the proper Destination on the external drive?