1 2 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 9:43 AM by BillF_MSTR

RoboHelp HTML won't start

JonYork Level 1
      So I've installed RoboHelp 7 on a Windows XP SP2 box with sufficient resources.
      RH 7 Word loads.
      RH7 HTML loads.
      i reboot the PC; RH7 Word loads. RH7 HTML does nothing, no matter which way I try to start it up.

On a 2nd XP box, with a new install of XP SP2, everything works fine.

Unsurprisingly, I do not want to rebuild the first XP box, which is used by our web developer, simply to get RH7 HTML to work - I'd rather find out what is blocking the HTML start-up.

there are no clues in Eventvwr and I cannot see any way of finding out what part of the start-up process may be failing.

anyone comes across similar problems or have any pointers about where/how to discover what the sticking point is?

thanks
      John
        • 1. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

Whose logon did you use at the time of installation and whose logon are you using after the reboot?

• 2. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
            JonYork Level 1
            i've tried all sorts of combinations:
            install as administrator, run as administrator ...
            install as administrator, run as power-user
            install as administrator, run as user
            install as power-user, run as power-user ... and so on

end result is always the same: on this one PC, RH7 HTML refuses to start.

it will be something simple, i'm sure. what is most frustrating is there appears to be no way of logging the start-up process ...

john
            • 4. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
              JonYork Level 1
              well the firewall and AV settings are identical on both the working and non-working PCs.

i've worked through the document you mention and also http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402654&sliceId=1

RH7 installs fine; it is only after a reboot that it refuses to start.
              • 5. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                I'm sorry but as you indicate, this seems to be machine specific.

• 6. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                  JonYork Level 1
                  is there any way of starting RH7 HTML from a command line, which might show why it doesn't want to initialise?
                  • 7. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                    Not with parameters that I am aware of, which is what I think you are seeking.

The only other thing I can think of, at entirely your risk, is customising the services that initiate at start up to track one that is causing this.

RH writes to the boot sector during installation. Given this is a developers machine, I wonder if they have a setup that would affect that.

• 8. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                      I suppose you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

• 9. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                        JonYork Level 1
                        I have tried *several* uninstall & re-installs.

one thing i've not tried is removing ALL the Adobe products (Acrobat etc) and then cleaning out all the registry entries manually ...
                        • 10. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                          Kathy@Broadridge Level 1
                          I cannot get RH HTML 7 to run. This happened after trying to import a very old RH project (2002) into 7. I have reinstalled RH and rebooted and it still does not run. What do I need to do?
                          Also, when I try running RH Word 7 and opening your sample project, I get an error message saying I need to run a more recent copy of Robohelp. We have Microsoft Office 2003 installed on our PCs.
                          Please advise, thanks.
                          • 11. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                            Welcome to the forum Kathy

Did you uninstall the old version of RH before installing RH7?

If not, uninstall both and then install just RH7,

Let us know if that works.

• 12. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                              Kathy@Broadridge Level 1
                              I have just gotten back to this.
                              Friday I uninstalled RH 2002, RH Office and RH 7.
                              I reinstalled RH 7 but it still would not run;
                              Next, I ran a repair on the install option, rebooted. It still did not run.
                              (Btw, I don't have the MS .NetFramework 2.0 on my PC.)
                              I then decided to remove the Adobe Tech Comm Suite entirely.
                              An automatic reboot took place upon completion.

I reinstalled the Adobe Tech Comm Suite and reestablished all of our DITA implementations.
                              I checked RH 7 and it ran, however, I did not try opening a project -- it was the end of the day.

Today, I accidentally started the RH for Word application.
                              Then I tried running the RH HTML version and it won't start !!!
                              I no longer have the old RH 2002 on my PC. I need RH 7 to run, what should I do??? What could possibly be wrong?

Thank you.

• 13. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                Do you have admin rights attached to your logon? Either you must have those rights or an admin with those rights must intstall.

What happens when you try to run it? Error messages?

• 14. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                  Kathy@Broadridge Level 1
                                  I do have admin rights on my PC.
                                  I just got RH 7 HTML started by selecting the Run option from the shortcut menu.
                                  I selected my user ID from the list and entered my Windows password, and it started.

When I double-click the desktop icon, the hourglass appears very briefly and then nothing happens.
                                  Thank you.
                                  • 15. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                    Locate the RoboHTML.exe in Program Files. Right click and create a desktop shortcut.

What I don't follow is "selecting Run from the shortcut menu.
                                    I selected my user ID from the list and entered my Windows password"

You are already logged into your PC so why enter again. You are talking about the Start Menu, yes?

• 16. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                      Kathy@Broadridge Level 1
                                      No, not the Start button.
                                      I have a desktop shortcut for RH 7 HTML. I've been right-clicking the icon to get the shortcut menu and choosing Run As... Then I select my user ID from the drop-down list and enter my Windows password. (2nd bullet on the dialog box). It makes no sense but this is how I can get it to start. What does this indicate?

Thus far, I have not been able to open an old project. I am trying to start a new project and then import some topics.

What is the xpj file? I used to open the mpj file to work on a project.

Thanks!
                                      • 17. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                        OK, let us know how you got on with the new shortcut. As long as you installed with admin rights, you should not need to use Run As.

The file structure changed and XPJ is now the file that opens projects.

• 18. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                          CharlieBook Level 1
                                          Hi John, I was wondering if you ever resolved this problem. If so, please tell me how because I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Thanks, Charlton.
                                          • 19. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                            JonYork Level 1
                                            Hi Charlton
                                            i got Rh to work by ruthlessly removing ALL the Adobe products on the PC, using Add/Remove programs.
                                            then deleted the Adobe folder
                                            then removed ALL trace of Adobe entries in the Registry.
                                            shut the PC down completlely.

only then would RH install correctly.

about par for the course with Adobe products. I hate them.

John
                                            • 20. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                              Charlton

Based on what John is reporting, did you install with admin rights attached to your logon? If not, RH will not work. You must have admin rights during the install or get an IT admin to install.

Second, are you on Vista? If you are, try right clicking the icon and selecting Run As Administrator.

If you do decide to follow the same route as John, you could try www.revouninstaller.com. I have not used it but I mentioned it in another thread and two people reported good results. If in any doubt, get IT to assist you.

• 21. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                CharlieBook Level 1
                                                Thanks for replying so quickly. The logon has full administrator rights and IT has absolutely no idea why this is happening. I have the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) installed on my computer as well as Adobe Captivate. I obviously don't want to take John's course of action, but right now I don't see any alternative. It's a shame that Adobe hasn't made any effort to provide a fix for this problem, even though it only affects a small percentage of users. I stick with RH because all of the alternatives that I have tried (Flare, AuthorIT and WebWorks) made a complete mess of converting my Word documents.

Charlton.
                                                • 22. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                  To the best of my recollection, you three are the only people who have hit this issue so it's tricky identifying the cause.

I have a feeling Kathy's problem was with her profile. You could uninstall RH, ask IT to keep your existing profile and give you a new one as well. Install RH with that and see if it works. If it does, that does indicate a profile problem. The new profile will not have all your other app settings so you will either need IT to do some mixing and matching if they can or you can uninstall RH, go back to your old profile and then try http://www.revouninstaller.com to clean things up.

Not sure how that app works. You might need to install RH again under your old profile and, unless it then works, uninstall it using revouninstaller.

Sorry but I don't know what else to suggest. When you do fix it, it would help if you would post back how.

• 23. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                    Kathy@Broadridge Level 1
                                                    I'm responding to the posts on this topic today.

Not much has changed since my post on 3/10. I use my desktop shortcut for RH 7 HTML and right-click the icon to get the shortcut menu, choosing Run As... I select the 2nd bullet on the dialog, and next select my user ID from the drop-down list and enter my Windows password. This is the only way RH7 will run for me. I intend to ask my LAN department about network issues but have not had time yet.

Leading up to this, I uninstalled the entire Adobe Tech Comm suite (which I believes cleans out the registry) and reinstalled the software suite. I use Windows XP. One other person in my group has RH 7 installed, does not use it, but can run it without any issues. It may be something peculiar with my PC.
                                                    • 24. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                      Kathy@Broadridge Level 1
                                                      I'm responding to the posts on this topic today.

Not much has changed since my post on 3/10. I use my desktop shortcut for RH 7 HTML and right-click the icon to get the shortcut menu, choosing Run As... I select the 2nd bullet on the dialog, and next select my user ID from the drop-down list and enter my Windows password. This is the only way RH7 will run for me. I intend to ask my LAN department about network issues but have not had time yet.

Leading up to this, I uninstalled the entire Adobe Tech Comm suite (which I believes cleans out the registry) and reinstalled the software suite. I use Windows XP. One other person in my group has RH 7 installed, does not use it, but can run it without any issues. It may be something peculiar with my PC.
                                                      • 25. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                        MartineLachance Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, so that makes 4! I have FrameMaker, PhotoShop, Acrobat installed and running XP SP3. Talked to technical service this morning, tried just about everything and it still does not work. I can see the process robohtml.exe starting in the task manager but it's gone after 1 second. Same thing for RH for Word.

I really don't want to reinstall my laptop. The worst thing is I wanted to try it before buying it, but if it doesn't work on my PC, I won't buy it for sure!

If you have any new development on this, let me know. I have a case open with Adobe, so I'll let you know if they find anything.

Good luck!

• 26. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                          Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The fact that it starts up & then dies indicates either that something like an anti-virus scanner/firewall is thinking it's a virus & shutting it down or that RH's looking for something that you don't have any rights to. You don't mention what O/S you're running, but if it's Vista or Win7 just because you are an admin doesn't mean you have full admin rights to your own c:\ drive. You'll need to "give" yourself permissions to that.

• 27. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                            MartineLachance Level 1

Hello Jeff,

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 and we are using Trend Micro client/server as anti-virus. I tried running RH while anti-virus is down and it still does the same thing. I then turned my firewall off, same thing. I have admin rights to my PC. My co-worker installed it on his PC and everything works fine. The difference is that he doesn't have any Adobe products installed.

• 28. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start

Then there must be something different between your machine & your co-workers. Have you tried the Run As option on the shortcut? Was it ever working? If so, what changed? Are you running RH as part of the TCS? I didn't notice if you mentioned that. You could try de-activating, uninstalling, reinstalling & reactivating.

• 29. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                MartineLachance Level 1

In fact, I did try the Run As option. To make a long story short, I installed the demo version the first time and RH would start, but none of the functions would work (create new project, import, etc.), so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Then it wouldn't start at all. I've been installing et reinstalling a couple of times and still the same problem. Is it a corrupted dll, an unregistered dll? What is called when you execute the .exe? That would help me focus on something to fix this problem.

No news from Adobe yet...

• 30. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start

Yes, something's definitely wrong - the demo version isn't crippled in any way as far as I've ever heard; it just expires. You might try doing a complete wipe with the revouninstaller tool (search the forums for the website). Art Campbell recommends it all the time to clean up messed up Registry entries.

• 31. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                    jymoo Level 1

Here in my office, six of us are facing the same problem. We are not able to start Robohelp HTML as well as Starter. The curser goes busy for a while and everything stops at once. But I noticed something more interesting. The Windows Task Manager shows Robo HTML under processes. It shows equal number of records as my attempts to open.

We are clueless of the reason. If someone has a clue, please post. FYI, Robohelp Word is working fine.

tskmgr.JPG

• 32. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                      RoboColum(n) Level 5

If you are all suffering this issue check for an over zealous virus checker. Also can you confirm that RoboHelp has been installed locally on each of your PCs.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
                                                                      • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter
                                                                      • 33. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start

If it has suddenly happened to all of you at the same time, I'm inclined to think of some sort of update. Have your IT people looked at the problem yet? They may also have made some sort of environment change.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 34. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                          jymoo Level 1

Hi, thank you both for the responses.

We have an up-to-date antivirus mechanism in place with regular scanning schedules. This does not seem to be the impact of any virus attack. Of course, the application has been installed locally. And we have admin rights on the machines too. And this did not happen all of a sudden. For me, it was like this from the beginning. Our IT operators have tried reinstalling the package a couple of times. It did not work. We have not tried reinstalling entire adobe applications anyways.

Until now, we did not observe that 6 of 20 team members faced this problem. We use RH Word for most projects. HTML is used once a year or so. Yes, I need to check with my own teammates if anyone experienced it gradually at different stages. If yes, the clue will be there in their contemporary activities.

• 35. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                            RoboColum(n) Level 5

Now that we have that additional information you can strike what Peter and I offered. The trouble is, you've confused me! If the problem was not always present (at least on some PCs) it can not be the installation. It must be something related to each PC. Can you confirm that the RoboHelp for Word applications starts OK? I think you'll have to dig a bit deeper into why the app works on some PCs and not others. Look at the specification, Windows updates, virus checking, etc.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
                                                                            • 36. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                              jymoo Level 1

Colum, thanks again. Very sorry that i confused you! . I did not intend to.

Yes, RH Word works well. Although at times, it does not prompt topic creation while importing large word documents. We tackled this by closing all running applications and restarting RH Word. Otherwise, fine.

We all have Dual Core machines with 512MB/1GB memory. RH version is X5 (I wonder why the management is still stuck to this!!!!). All of us are using XP with SP2.

I wonder why such a problem has not been reported by many. I will have a detailed check within a day and let you all know the updates. Thank you again.

• 37. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                                RoboColum(n) Level 5

I'm glad you weren't deliberately trying to confuse me Your PC specification is on the low side which maybe a cause of the issue.

• 38. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start

The spec is low but 512 mb is the Adobe minimum even for RH8 so it should start.

http://www.adobe.com/products/robohelp/systemreqs/

Are the other requirements met?

I'm not entirely clear whether it has never started for the six affected users.

I don't see what version you are using. For older versions it wasn't just installation that required admin rights.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 39. Re: RoboHelp HTML won't start
                                                                                    BillF_MSTR Level 1

I recently had this very same issue happen to me and went searching on the forums and found this posting. I have RoboHelp HTML 7, installed on a Desktop with Windows XP SP3.

To fix this issue, I tried a bunch of things, some crazier than others. I un-installed and re-installed multiple times, which never did anything for me. I also tried to remove some recent Windows updates, thinking perhaps they were the culprit. This also did not help.

I have since found a very strange work around. I went into the Program Files for RoboHTML 7. My original plan was to do some type of copy/paste/remove to swap out the RoboHTML.exe file, since this seemed to be the problem file. What I did was copy the RoboHTML.exe and paste it in the same folder, so it was created with the default name Copy of RoboHTML.exe. Just to see what would happen I double-clicked on this .exe and to my surprise RoboHelp HTML opened. Utterly perplexed, I closed the program and tried the original RoboHTML.exe, and it still did not work. So I tried renaming the RoboHTML.exe file. With a new name (any new name will do) I double-clicked the .exe file and RoboHelp HTML opened. If I change the .exe back to RoboHTML.exe though, it will not work.

So, the work around that worked for me was to rename this .exe file. I don't know how to explain it, and I don't even expect it would work for everyone that has this issue. But I thought I would share this, because for some reason it worked for me.

Of course, a more permanent fix would be preferrable so that I do not have to rename this RoboHTML.exe file.

1 2 Previous Next