4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 7:56 PM by Anthony_Jones40

Lightroom 4 import error on Cannon EOS 70D

ALBERTACES12

I have Lightroom 4 that I use to edit pictures from my Rebel XTI. I just rented a newer comera Canon EOS 70D now my Lightroom 4 cannot import the wedding pictures that I just took. What do I need to do?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4 import error on Cannon EOS 70D
          dj_paige Level 9

You need to purchase LR 5.2 or later (probably you'd want to purchase Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC 2015).

Or you can use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert your RAWs to DNG and import those.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 4 import error on Cannon EOS 70D
            Anthony_Jones40 Level 1

This is a very common issue that users come across,

Lightroom uses camera raw plugin to read the raw files from the camera.

Please check the link below for the version of camera raw and Lightroom required for the camera.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

In your case the minimum version of camera raw plugin required for canon EOS 70 D is ‘8.2’ and the minimum version of Lightroom you need is Lightroom 5.2.

Upgrading to Lightroom 5.2 would fix your issue with importing raw files from Canon EOS 70D into Lightroom.

Hope this resolves your problem with importing files.

Regards

Anthony Jones

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lightroom 4 import error on Cannon EOS 70D
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anthony_Jones40 wrote:

Regards

Anthony Jones

As a point of clarification, Lightroom does not "use" the camera raw plug-in to convert your images in Lightroom. That technology is part of the Lightroom program. Camera Raw is "used" when a raw image is sent from Lightroom to Photoshop to be edited. Then camera raw is used to convert the raw image to a pixel image before it can be opened in Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4 import error on Cannon EOS 70D
                Anthony_Jones40 Level 1

JimHess wrote:

Anthony_Jones40 wrote:

Regards

Anthony Jones

As a point of clarification, Lightroom does not "use" the camera raw plug-in to convert your images in Lightroom. That technology is part of the Lightroom program. Camera Raw is "used" when a raw image is sent from Lightroom to Photoshop to be edited. Then camera raw is used to convert the raw image to a pixel image before it can be opened in Photoshop.

Thank you for raising that up JimHess ,

Yes, I agree that the technology is a part of the Lightroom program but I never said anything about conversion.

Adobe Camera Raw, lets you import and enhance raw images. Application that support the Adobe Camera Raw are Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, After Effects and Bridge.

When it comes to Adobe Lightroom, the application is built on the same powerful raw image processing technology that powers Adobe Camera Raw.

For more details, you can check the link below.

Adobe Camera Raw

Now, coming to the issue that has been posted here the problem is that Lightroom 4 is not able to process the image during import      as the raw image processing technology i.e. Adobe Camera Raw being used by this version of Lightroom cannot read the Raw files  from Canon EOS 70D that need a higher version of Camera Raw i.e. 8.2.

I hope I am able to clarify the use of Camera Raw in Lightroom.

Regard

Anthony Jones