• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get jerky output when using VOB files

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a fairly new user with Elements 15. I am trying to preserve some old family footage taken on VHS in 1988! This has been copied to DVD via a DVD recorder. I have imported the VOB files and edited the footage in Elements. However, on exporting, movement is very jerky. I have tried exporting every format - AVI, MP4, MPEG etc. On looking through other advice I have applied Flicker removal, which gives the best result yet, but still nowhere near as good as the original.

When the files were initially imported, I got a "generic error message" but no details, and the clips looked OK on screen.

Are there particular settings I need to apply for VOB files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be the nature of the DVD your recorded (your DVD recorder may not be creating traditional DVDs), or it could be the process you're using to load the DVD files into your Premiere Elements project.

How did you get the video from the disc into your project? The best way is to put the DVD in your computer's disc drive and then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From DVD Camera or Computer Drive to open the Video Importer and "rip" the files from the disc to your computer and into your project. Is this the method you used?

Just as importantly, when you add the VOB file to the beginning of your timeline, do you see a yellow orange "render" line above the first clip on your timeline. Ideally you should not. The render line is an indication that your project is not properly set up to work with  your video, and that can result in the issues you're seeing.

RenderLine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Yes I did import the video from the DVD using Add Media/DVD or computer.

I do have a Render Line. I did click on Render but it looks like that only did part of it, which I didn't notice.

Should I render the rest of it, or is that an indication that I need to change import settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're seeing a render line above your first clip, something isn't as it should be.

Go to the Edit menu and select Project Settings. What settings are listed on the General page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I need to modify my previous answer. There is a Render Line above the current project that I have been working on for some time, but I didn't notice if it was there when I started. So I have started again with a new import direct from the DVD and there is NO render line.

Exporting this to AVI without doing anything else to it results in extreme jerkiness on a moving subject. In MP4 the subject moves more smoothly, but when the camera pans, the background is very jerky, especially noticable on vertical lines.

This is reduced by adding "flicker removal" in Field Options (this introduces the render line) and exporting to either AVI or MP4

The General settings are DV PAL; 25fps: 720/576 (I am in England so would expect this)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is good news.

BTW, in your initial post, you say "when you export" you see jerkiness.

What are you exporting as?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried exporting to every Devices/Computer format - .AVI .MP4 .MOV .MPEG. Of these, the best results are from .AVI and .MP4 but without the flicker removal movement is very jerky, and it's not as good as the original DVD even with it applied.

I have yet to get it to burn to disc as I am having problems with my disc drive at the moment.

I have just tried Devices/TV. The resulting MPEG had fairly stable moving subject, but jerky background when the camera was panning round.

The original DVD is completely smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's focus on an MP4 output for now. Some of the options you're describing are using interlaced rather than progressive frames, and that my be complicating our troubleshooting.

Go to the Export & Share/Devices/Custom tab and click on the Advanced Settings button. Set Format to H.264. Under Video settings, set the Width to 640 and the Height to 480 (Uncheck the checkboxes if necessary and click the chain link to unconstrain your choices). Set frame rate to 30 and Field Order to Progressive. TV standard should of course be PAL. Click OK to save these settings and name it 640x480 MP4 or whatever.

Do an output using this custom output setting.

Actually, to save time, do a short output (maybe 2-4 minutes) of your new project. The one that has only one clip on your timeline and no render line above it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I have tried that with a short clip and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Is there any reason why you asked me to change the size and frame rate?

I have now managed to get my DVD burner working and the output into DVD is fine and steady.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that the issue is resolved?46

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly.

I can get a good reproduction on a disc, but not on MP4 or any other computer format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know why that would be. MP4s are progressive scan and should actually exhibit LESS jerkiness than a DVD. So I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines