• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get layer on top to show?

Participant ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to the top layer to zoom out in the new layer underneath. But as soon as the indicator hits the bottom layer, the bottom layer turns active. But then I miss the zooming of the top layer. If I move the bottom layer to where the top layer ends I get a black background around the out zooming top layer. That's not what I want.
I'm sure I have done this before, but I can't figure it out. Do I have to create a mask to make this work?

Skjermbilde 2017-02-05 kl. 10.09.18.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

it seems you want to pan around your video in 2D motion control moves. also called "Ken Burns Moves" or "Ken Burns Effect": Ken Burns effect - Wikipedia

your layers are 3D and that means they share a 3D space. when you zoom using 3D layers, then as soon as the layers share the same Z position - they will overlap. this means that the layer order in the timeline is not what counts but the actual 3D position. more about it here: Use 3D layers in After Effects

you can either:

1. not use 3D, most users

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full screenshots please. Try to further illustrate the problem and specify the exact setup you have there. We need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually don't know how to describe it better. When I zoom out on the top clip (layer) the surroundings of the clip is black since I don't have anything behind the clip. So I put in another clip (bottom layer) to be the background. But what happens is that the whole bottom layer is showing and hiding the top layer while zooming out. The overlapping doesn't seem to work.

Skjermbilde 2017-02-05 kl. 11.10.49 copy.jpgSkjermbilde 2017-02-05 kl. 11.11.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems you want to pan around your video in 2D motion control moves. also called "Ken Burns Moves" or "Ken Burns Effect": Ken Burns effect - Wikipedia

your layers are 3D and that means they share a 3D space. when you zoom using 3D layers, then as soon as the layers share the same Z position - they will overlap. this means that the layer order in the timeline is not what counts but the actual 3D position. more about it here: Use 3D layers in After Effects

you can either:

1. not use 3D, most users use scale and position to pan around a video or still, but if there is more then a few movements, you better use anchor point and scale (not animate position) so your anchor point will always be centered (like a virtual camera!). if you are a Lynda subscriber you can find the demonstration of this technique here

2. use 3D, but disable the 3D interaction by a render order trick: add a layer style to your 3D layer: right click->layer styles-> drop shadow. then toggle the drop shadow visibility off, but leave the "layer styles" visibility on. this will prevent 3D layers on either side from intersecting or casting shadows on one another. this will not have any visual impact on your footage (the layer styles are really off)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tend to forget to check in.

I hat to take a break from editing, but you are correct. It all works fine when I switch to 2D. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Haugen,

Sorry you're having trouble with animating still images. Did Roei's answer help solve your issue? Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines