3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 2:04 AM by Newsgroup_User

You have entered another dimension

Jennifer_Hotpants
      Can anyone help me? I'm having a blonde moment understanding how to deal with dimensions.

I need to have a sign printed that's about 8 inches by 36 inches. I will probably have Kinko's print the sign.

I set my canvas up to be that size, but how do I translate from what size my characters will be in the real world, back to font sizes? For example, characters 3 inches high appears to be a nice size to see the sign from reasonably far away in the real world, (but I'm not wedded to that size). What font size should I use to correspond with 3 inches? If it matters, I'm probably going to use the IMPACT font. I'm using 240 right now, but somehow it seems too small. I would of thought I could get 3 lines, one at 3 inches tall, and 2 at 2.5 inches tall (8 inches total). But the way I've got it, it looks like I could get at least 10 lines into the same space. At the same time, if I go into the editor, the character looks really big. So, I'm lost. In addition, I don't know what DPI I should set. I"ve heard that printers need 600DPI, but this is set at 72 DPI. Setting it to 600 gives me an error message - invalid value I think it was.

Also, I'm confused as to how trim and fit work. Clearly they alter sizes, but I'm not quite sure exactly what they're doing. Can anyone explain? I was playing with them and it altered my image and/or canvas size, and now I can't figure out how to go back.

Finally, I have the ruler turned on, but it seems to be in centimeters. I can't figure out how to make it display in inches.

Any other information that helps me understand how to work with dimensions in this program would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: You have entered another dimension
          Level 7
          Jennifer Hotpants wrote:
          > Can anyone help me? I'm having a blonde moment understanding how to deal with
          > dimensions.
          >
          > I need to have a sign printed that's about 8 inches by 36 inches. I will
          > probably have Kinko's print the sign.

Hi Jennifer,

Fireworks was developed for low resolution Web design. Illustrator, with
          its CMYK color space, would be the correct software to use for designing
          your sign.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: You have entered another dimension
            Jennifer_Hotpants Level 1
            Thank you for that tidbit of information Linda.

Now could someone answer the questions that were actually asked please?

Thank you
            • 3. Re: You have entered another dimension
              Level 7
              > Now could someone answer the questions that were actually asked please?

>>I need to have a sign printed that's about 8 inches by 36 inches. I will
              probably have Kinko's print the sign.
              >> I set my canvas up to be that size, but how do I translate from what size
              >> my
              characters will be in the real world, back to font sizes?

I'd love to help but it seems a bit pointless since the questions relate to
              Illustrator not Fireworks as Linda explained.

Fireworks is for web pages and screen displays. Illustrator is for print
              work, banners, signs etc.

e.g. Fireworks rulers measure in pixels, not inches or cm.

Trim and fit are explained quite well in the Fireworks Help files.

Trimming or fitting the canvas
              If your document contains extra space around the contents of the canvas, you
              can trim the canvas. You can also modify the canvas by expanding it to fit
              objects that extend beyond its boundary.

To trim or fit the canvas to the document contents:
              1. Choose Select > Deselect to view the document properties in the Property
              inspector.
              2. Click Fit Canvas in the Property inspector.
              The canvas expands or contracts to the size of the contents of the canvas.

--
              Regards

John Waller