Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows or Apple

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been working with Indesign on a Apple iMac for the last 5 years without any problems.

Since 2 weeks I have a new job working with Indesign on a Windows. Today the file was ready and when I try to open it, it failed, 37 pages down the drain... Anyone familar with this terrible failure? I can start over again... never had this on my iMac...

sandra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yesterday I made some changes at home on the iMac and today I worked with it under Windows. Can that be the problem??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the exact message when you tried to open the file? The most likely cause is that you opened a file version newer than the version of InDesign installed on the computer. If that is the case, you would have save the file as InDesign CS4 or earlier (IDML) so it could be opened in an older version. While this is not a corrupt file, this article explains about IDML:

Clean corrupt files by exporting to .IDML or .INX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "failed" mean?

InDesign is practically identical on Windows and Mac. I use both interchangeably. Beyond using Opentype fonts for compatibility there's is very little you need to be aware of beyond using the same version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same versions indesign CC 2017 so that will not be the problem.

The message is that the file can not be opened due to not repairable damage (translated, I use the Dutch version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you moving these files from one machine to the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB-stick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you actually saving to the USB drive or packaging and then copying everything over.

Hint: The first way is a disaster waiting to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The strange thing is that when I export the file in Indesign new file the first page occurs and the file  size is also 100 mb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines