5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 6:43 AM by Szalam

Synching settings between computers

jonathand33718077

I recently had to switch computers/workstations at work. I was working off an older tower, and have switched to a new trash can mac. I made sure to sync my settings from AE to the cloud so that I could use my personalized work layout that I have saved. Now, when I sign into the cloud on the new computer, and open up AE, my settings are not synced. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Synching settings between computers
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What settings aren't synced? Some things just don't go through the Cloud yet for syncing purposes (workspaces, for example)..

• 2. Re: Synching settings between computers
            jonathand33718077 Level 1

Gotcha. Yea, I was hoping for my worspaces to sync. Now I've updated both computers so that they both have AE CC 2017, I was able to migrate my old settings onto the old computer just fine....when I opened AE CC 2017 it said it detected settings that could migrate from an older version (13.8). I hit yes and it worked out great. I did the same thing on the new computer, only when it detected the older settings to migrate, it gave me two option...settings from 13.8 or settings from 14.1.....for some reason I picked 14.1 and of course it doesn't have the save workspaces I was looking for. How can I go back and migrate my settings from the 13.8 version, where I assume my saved workspaces were? Or is there a better way? Sorry if my description isn't great.

• 3. Re: Synching settings between computers

jonathand33718077 wrote:

I did the same thing on the new computer, only when it detected the older settings to migrate, it gave me two option...settings from 13.8 or settings from 14.1.....for some reason I picked 14.1 and of course it doesn't have the save workspaces I was looking for. How can I go back and migrate my settings from the 13.8 version, where I assume my saved workspaces were? Or is there a better way? Sorry if my description isn't great.

You can uninstall and reinstall CC 2017. Happily, the new installer technology the CC app uses makes that process go a lot more quickly than it used to!

• 4. Re: Synching settings between computers
                jonathand33718077 Level 1

Yea, I ended up doing that. Unfortunately it made no difference once I reinstalled AE...it would not give me the option to migrate my older settings....I ending up just rearranging a new workspace and saving it. Major let down....I'm sure there was something I did wrong along the way, but I'm unable to figure it out. Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

• 5. Re: Synching settings between computers

No problem. Thanks for following up!

At least this gave you the chance to rethink your workspace!

I keep adding or upgrading monitors, adding new script UI panels, and changing my workflow, so I'm somewhat frequently making new workspaces and editing old ones anyway.