4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 9:56 AM by Felix29

Animation Codec no longer exports alpha channel

Felix29 Level 1

With the latest upgrade of After Effects I can no longer export an alpha channel using the animation codec. I am working with a Grass Valley K2 Summit server.

When clip is rendered RGB+Alpha is on. Premult is on. When imported to K2 both tracks appear in the properties box but fill and alpha track are black on clip load.

With an older version of AE we were able to get the import to work using the aforementioned settings. Any updated computer with AE CC 2017 will not import! Have tried other codecs (DNxHD & opa1) but  still no alpha! Since Apple is no longer supporting Quicktime is this causing an issue? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I've made inquires at GVG as well. Hoping to solve this before baseball season starts!

• 1. Re: Animation Codec no longer exports alpha channel
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just tested with no problems. BTW, Straight Alpha is almost always preferred over Pre-multiplied. You get better edges in the composite but it looks worse in a media player.

What happens if you just use the default Lossless with Alpha preset that comes with AE in the Render Cue's output module? What happens if you import the render back into AE and check for an alpha channel.

• 2. Re: Animation Codec no longer exports alpha channel
            jeffreyp9120215

Think it must be a GVG issue. I've exported/with alpha several projects both straight and pre-multiplied.. no problem. I just delivered several files to a client who is working with avid on a mac. I'm using AE on a PC. No issues!

• 3. Re: Animation Codec no longer exports alpha channel
              Felix29 Level 1

Thanks to both of you. I have narrowed the problem down to After Effects. Out of 5 computers we are running 3 are able to make the export with alpha no issues. The other two however, will not. One of these is running win7 the other win10. Have double checked all render setting between working and nonworking machines. I've found that the K2 is not at fault. If I render a project with alpha and export it as a quicktime(millions of colors+) to one of the machines that has an issue and then export it to the server all is well! So that only leaves an After Effects problem. Could it be a codec issue? Is there a way to update or upgrade the codecs in theses two machines? If it was just the win10 computer I could blame windows 10 but the other is running seven! Can seem to crack this nut!

• 4. Re: Animation Codec no longer exports alpha channel
                Felix29 Level 1

This problem has been solved! Apparently any version of After Effects higher than 13.8 will not properly encode a clip for export to a GVG K2 Summit. I've made Adobe aware of the issue. I don't know if the bug affects other servers. If your having a problem getting clips to your server I suggest rolling back to AE 13.5.