5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2008 12:11 PM by Brian Stew

Director and Multitouch

Spellmaster
      Hi,
      Not used director in anger for years now, but a new project may have a use for it. We are looking at these new multi touch interfaces. I wondered if director could be used to create applications that supported a multi touch interface.

Thanks
      Iain
        • 1. Re: Director and Multitouch
          Level 7

"Spellmaster" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gcftmh$mdq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          > Not used director in anger for years now, but a new project may have
          > a use for
          > it. We are looking at these new multi touch interfaces. I wondered
          > if director
          > could be used to create applications that supported a multi touch
          > interface.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Iain

Hi,
          I guess the answer is yes, IF the interface translates everything back
          to "single-touch" events.
          That may not be what you want however, and then the only option is to
          somehow interface with the events yourself.

The technique is still too new to expect Xtras for this, but maybe you
          can find someone who can actually do this.
          It all depends on if the docs are available, and you must hope for a
          "standard" somehow.

Do you have something specific in mind?

Richard

• 2. Re: Director and Multitouch
            Spellmaster Level 1
            Richard,

thanks for the response, i gues i expected it would be the case. I have an ammout of programming resource to throw at the task just trying to work out the best use of there time.
            Were looking to create a little 3d demo that uses multi touch, the solar system for example, a 3d environment that you can zoom around using multi touch. Director would obviosly have the necessary 3d ablility for the application meaning we could put somthing togeather quickly, but if we cant get the interface how we want, we may need to take another route.
            I gues my question is, can we dip in to low level stuff with director and if necessary create multitouch functionality for our app given that director will do the rest with ease.
            • 3. Re: Director and Multitouch
              Level 7

"Spellmaster" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gchorj$57b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Richard,
              >
              > thanks for the response, i gues i expected it would be the case. I
              > have an
              > ammout of programming resource to throw at the task just trying to
              > work out the
              > best use of there time.
              > Were looking to create a little 3d demo that uses multi touch, the
              > solar
              > system for example, a 3d environment that you can zoom around using
              > multi
              > touch. Director would obviosly have the necessary 3d ablility for
              > the
              > application meaning we could put somthing togeather quickly, but if
              > we cant get
              > the interface how we want, we may need to take another route.
              > I gues my question is, can we dip in to low level stuff with
              > director and if
              > necessary create multitouch functionality for our app given that
              > director will
              > do the rest with ease.
              >

Hi again,

it depends on what you want to do exactly.

There difficulties you run into are that there is only 1 cursor, and 1
              mouseLoc. In multitouch you will have more of those.
              So, somehow you need a way to seperate ine from the others, but
              current OS and driver implementations do not have a way for this.

I remember a "multi-mouse" driver in development and working. If you
              like I can find the docs for it, but Google will also find it for you.
              It basically gives you more than one mouse-pointer on your screen, and
              ways to tell them apart in code.
              Might be worth a look, although it is not strictly "multi-touch, and
              could make a starting point.

I think you need a driver (at OS level) that interprets the input from
              the touch-screen in a different way than the standard driver.
              You might need to develop that yourself :(

Good luck,
              and curious as to what you find, very interesting!

Richard

• 4. Re: Director and Multitouch
                Level 7
                Hi Iain,

I would say multi-touch is not possible with Director at this point in time. I have
                discussed it with Adobe engineers.

If you want to put your Director thoughts/requests across, please visit my survey,
                which is on for only a few more days.
                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/survey/DirectorRoadmap/

Thanks.

regards
                Dean

Director Next Roadmap Survey
                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/survey/DirectorRoadmap/

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 5. Director and Multitouch
                  Brian Stew Level 2
                  It's prette safe to say Director can't use a multi touch interface right off. You are not limited to only one mouse-like input however (does Adobe engineers really suggest that?). I seem to remember seeing people playing games on even on pcs with two joysticks. There is a device called the gameport in Windows, in a addition to the mouseport. That's two independent input devices, which the OS can handle. I think you need an Xtra to handle it in Director, however.
                  Thinking more outside the box a little, I thought there should be some multi channel input interface here, and... enter MIDI! This almost ancient technology is popular among all kinds of artists - not just musicians, but it is used for lightingboards and art installations as well. It is relatively easy to program, and there are xtras available for Director. MIDI is 16 independent channels, and within each channel you have multiple 'layers' of signals you can send; note numbers and heap of different controller messages. These data do not need to orginate from a music keyboard, and they do not need to trigger notes etc. I.e. the data you get from your MIDI xtra can be used for anything; also positioning of sprites (shaped as cursors for instance). Eight, sixteen or even more independent devices ('touches') should be possible then, and Director can handle that. Quite how you create those data is another matter, but MIDI is indeed widely used in experiemental art so you could check some workshops. Due to its age, MIDI resolution is limited to 128 steps (0-127). On a large Stage that's pretty crude, and more like a grid of maximum 128 x 128 cells. It could be plenty good enough however - it's more a challenge for the graphic programmer, which should be possible to overcome. At least something to concider.