• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New laptop?

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a new laptop to run premiere pro CC on since my old one doesn't have the system requirements needed. Know any good laptops/flip books for a student editor?

[Branched to a new thread and moved to the Hardware Forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can ignore the links from the bot named john.

a new laptop with good hardware for premiere will have an i7-770hq, gtx 1050 ti, 16-24gb or ram, one or two ssd's. those are starting specs, there are some slightly faster but get expensive quick. most 2-in-1 flip-books are going to have "U" series processors, which while having an "i7" in the name are actually closer to half the speed of the "HQ" cpu's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi izzym565115
I can't tell you what laptop would be good for Premier Pro CC... but I can give a little advice from my own experience:

Back sometime ago, I needed a computer to do video editing... and I *wanted* a laptop to be able to take with me for everything else. So i thought i could get a laptop that would be capable of video editing, and use it for what ever else I needed and it would be portable.
So I custom ordered direct from HP a Envy 15T-3000 with I7 processor 8gb ram etc etc, pretty much fully loaded, about $1600 at that time. And it was advertised to be specifically built for "video editing" with Premier and Photoshop. It even came with Premier Elements pre-loaded and had the highly acclaimed "Beats Audio" speaker system.... All I can say is....  WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

Before I continue to run on, let me sum it up here: This laptop NEVER performed even close to what was as advertised, and I had nothing but headaches from it the entire I've owned it. And then yesterday, it died, and this time it just isn't worth trying to fix it yet again. Now I'm looking into what I need to build a DESKTOP system that can use Premier Pro CC, (which I have a forum thread on here if interested). With that said, here is my piece of advice: Unless being able to do your video editing on a portable system is a POINT BLANK REQUIREMENT... don't do it.
Instead buy a good desktop system for video editing, and a cheap laptop for everything else, you will be MUCH happier. 

Well, thats my advice, you can stop reading here....
Or if you want to know just some of the problems I ran into with this laptop, trying to use it for video editing, and some of the issues with the performance of laptops in general when concerning video editing, then read on:

First, the "beats audio" was a COMPLETE JOKE JUNK! You could turn it up "full blast" and you couldn't even understand what a person was saying. And I don't mean just on recorded footage, I mean on ANYTHING. Youtube videos, DVD movies etc etc. I used headphones all the time, as there was no way to hear anything any other way.  And even though I sent it back to HP for "service" several times, they NEVER fixed or did anything about the audio, it was complete false advertisement.
Laptops in general do not have good audio compared to desktop speakers no matter what is advertised. But some, like mine, are Far worse than others.

Also it had a MAJOR overheating problem that started from Day 1 until it died (two days ago). Which was made HUGELY apparent whenever I tried to edit. This was the main reason that I sent it back for service several times, each time I was told "it was dusty you have to clean it" which was bologna, as I did clean it often. HP knew it would overheat due to the processor and cooling system design.

The screen, like most laptops, was a bit small and had limited space when using premier, also not as bright as a desktop which hurt at times, but it was usable.

A big issue I have learned concerning laptop performance compared to a desktop system is this: No matter how high of performance processor, graphics "chip", etc that you get in a laptop, it will NEVER be as fast as its Desktop Counterpart. Why? Power. A laptop by design is made to be "portable", therefore ALL components are scaled back so that they use less power, so the battery lasts for a usable amount of time, and also so the components will produce less Heat. This is even true when the battery is fully charged and its connected to the power supply running off AC power.

My laptop, which had an Insatiable appetite for power and ran the battery dead in less than a hour even when new, had a 120w power supply. Which is fairly large for a laptop, and even made it hard to charge the laptop off of portable chargers and such, as most wouldn't charge it at all, others only kept the battery from "running down as quickly". Even the regular charger, which I used 99% of the time, took a while to charge the large battery.
On the other hand a Desktop system with an I7 processor series, good graphics card, etc would usually have a 500-800 watt power supply. So all the components are running at their fully designed speed because they have plenty of power, and ALSO because there is more room in the case as well as more fans to dissipate the heat generated by using this extra power.

If you read all the way to here, sorry for the long post
Thats just my 2 dollars (adjusted for inflation)
~Peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines