4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 2:32 PM by MargaretHuang

Acrobat DC SDK/JavaScript Training suggestion

MargaretHuang

I am looking for a training that can help me to interact with PDF fillable forms. These forms are created by Acrobat DC Professional, and we want to put these forms online, and let users fill the form and submit the form online, and we will then extract the fields data after the forms submitted, and do some kind of workflow behind scene.

I have some basic experience in JavaScript, C#, etc.

Would someone give some suggestions, and where can I find the training? Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Acrobat DC SDK/JavaScript Training suggestion
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You want to create a server process to access the form data?

• 2. Re: Acrobat DC SDK/JavaScript Training suggestion
            MargaretHuang Level 1

Yes, that's correct - to allow users to return completed forms and data via submission to a server, and collect the form data.

We also try to get a general idea the possibilities out there, i.e. what are the available features on the PDF forms and form handling, the possible functionalities that we are able to interact with Adobe PDFs and PDF forms, and some user case studies for the implication of form processing. Just try to open our mind, and gain some knowledge in a short crash course.

• 3. Re: Acrobat DC SDK/JavaScript Training suggestion
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Ok, well we can exclude Acrobat, the Acrobat SDK, Acrobat JavaScript. Acrobat is not technically suitable, and not licensed, for server use. Most people seem to use third party tools on the server, but we can't really discuss them here! Adobe LiveCycle Forms (a product by that full name, not a type of form, and not LiveCycle Designer) is Adobe's server form processor, but I don't know anything about that, it isn't part of the Acrobat family.

In fact the simplest way to interact with PDF forms is to submit the form DATA not the form. This is much simpler and more reliable. The form can submit in various formats including XML, and require no PDF-specific software to handle.

Equally, I feel obliged to say: you have a can of worms. Most browsers now have their own PDF viewer, some of which don't do forms, and others of which break forms. Mobile support is poor. HTML5 forms have MUCH to recommend them if you don't want to spend your life supporting users in their browser choices.

• 4. Re: Acrobat DC SDK/JavaScript Training suggestion
                MargaretHuang Level 1

Thank you for introducing Adobe LiveCycle Forms. I am guessing this is the current product you are talking about: Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Suite 4.

That suite has the functionality I observed in the past: a research paper publisher review process. Apparently, the publisher used the Adobe LiveCycle ES created server form and workflow, including personalized communication and versioning tracking etc.

I don't think we need LiveCycle ES for our project. You reassured me that submit form data is the direction I need to pursue.