2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 7:01 AM by arekh2792424

Trying to make a script that will select page items the script places.

arekh2792424 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to InDesign scripting and I feel I am probably midding something pretty basic and fundamental, but here is the situation. I am trying to create a script that will prompt the user to select a file, then place that file 2UP on a 12x18 sheet, then select the placed objects. I have done a lot of research and I feel like I cant find anything because I am missing something so obvious that nobody else is asking. How do you select things with a script? I can do the prettying up and polishing for errors later, but the part of the script I could use some help with is:

FilePlace();

function FilePlace() {

var selectedFile = File.openDialog("Choose a PDF File");

var placeFile1 = app.documents.item(0).pages.item(0).place(selectedFile, ["0.36in","0.5in"])[0];

var placeFile2 = app.documents.item(0).pages.item(0).place(selectedFile, ["9.14in","0.5in"])[0];

HERE

}

Where I typed HERE I have tried a MULTITUDE of things including:

app.documents.item[0].pages.item[0].pageItems[0,1].select([SelectionOptions.REPLACE_WITH]) ;

app.documents.item[0].pages.item[0].pageItems[placeFile1, placeFile2].select([SelectionOptions.REPLACE_WITH]);

app.activeDocument.pages.item[0].allPageItems.select([SelectionOptions.REPLACE_WITH]);

app.activeDocument.pages.item[0].pageItems.selectAll([SelectionOptions.REPLACE_WITH]);

and a whole laundry list of other things.

To sum it up, I dont understand what happens after the files are placed because all of these come up as "undefined" and I just get an error. Do the variables placeFile1&2 just point to the raw file and not the instance of it that it places on the page? If so what does it refer to these items as, and can I cange this reference? How can I make this work? Any help will be much obliged!

• 1. Re: Trying to make a script that will select page items the script places.
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

placeFile1 is a good reference, so

placeFile1.select();

should work BUT

notice that placeFile1 is a PDF object it means a content of graphic frame ==> so you cant select placeFile1 and placeFile2 at once ==> however you can select their parents

Jarek

• 2. Re: Trying to make a script that will select page items the script places.
            arekh2792424 Level 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This was massively helpful. I figured I was overcomplicating it, just wasnt sure to what extent. This is the chunk of code I created that ended up working as intended and is a workaround for the parent issue as well!

//Place the file 2UP.

var placeFile1 = app.documents.item(0).pages.item(0).place(selectedFile, ["0.36in" ,"0.5in"])[0];

var placeFile2 = app.documents.item(0).pages.item(0).place(selectedFile, ["9.14in" ,"0.5in"])[0];

//Make references to parent objects of placed pdfs.

var placeFile1Parent = placeFile1.parent;

var placeFile2Parent = placeFile2.parent;

//Select the placed file instances.

placeFile1Parent.select(SelectionOptions.REPLACE_WITH);

placeFile2Parent.select(SelectionOptions.ADD_TO);

I really appreciate the help!