• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D-500 Raw Images

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to successfully import Nikon D-500 raw images into Lightroom 5 or 6.  Also,the preview screen image is of very low quality and makes it impossible to choose the bests images to import. Kind of defeats the purpose of the feature.

Thank You all.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

DNG has all the same image quality as a NEF.

I’ve not seen any poor quality previews in the import dialog but I tend to import everything on the card and then decide what to keep after viewing the larger Library previews or after viewing 1:1 to check focus/sharpness.

Have the NEF files been previously used in Nikon software? That can sometimes cause problems.

If you have already used the trial and don’t want to pay for the 6.8 upgrade, I suggest you try the DNG converter on a folder of NEFs. Then i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NEF files from that camera are not compatible with LR5. You need LR 6.5 or higher. The latest version is LR6.8

Install Photoshop Lightroom

Alternatively convert to Adobe raw (DNG) and the DNG files will work with LR5.

You can batch convert a whole folder of raw images into Adobe raw (DNG) and the dng files will be backward compatible with your software

Get the latest DNG Converter Mac  | Win

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm converting to a different file format, doesn't that defeat the purpose of shooting in Raw?

Plus, I did try a trial version of 6.something several months ago.  It could import the photos but the image quality of the preview was so poor I couldn't pick the good from the bad.  Do you know if this problem has also been fixed in version 6.8?

Thank You.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG has all the same image quality as a NEF.

I’ve not seen any poor quality previews in the import dialog but I tend to import everything on the card and then decide what to keep after viewing the larger Library previews or after viewing 1:1 to check focus/sharpness.

Have the NEF files been previously used in Nikon software? That can sometimes cause problems.

If you have already used the trial and don’t want to pay for the 6.8 upgrade, I suggest you try the DNG converter on a folder of NEFs. Then import the DNG files into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are raw images right from the card.  I'll try the DNG format.  Thank You for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may wish to have a look at the article at the link below.

DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines