• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't enable use of PDF thumbnails in Acrobat Reader

Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who has the solution to this problem:

My PC freezes (locks up) when I switch on >Edit >Preferences >General √ Enable PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer, in Acrobat Reader.

I had the this problem when using W7, I was told that the remedy was upgrading to W10, this did not help !

Now using W10 and Reader V2015.023.20056, all up to date, but the problem is not solved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please try reinstalling Reader and see if that helps?

Remove existing installation of Reader with the help of Cleaner tool which can be downloaded from here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Restart the computer.

Download and install Reader DC from this link: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution  (choose the Operating System, language, and version accordingly).

Let me know the results.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Shivam,

I did as you suggested above (remove, restart, download and install).

This gave no improvement, problem persistent, PC froze when I tried to open a folder containing *pdf

(same things happened when I was using W7).

If I switch off >Edit >Preferences >General √ Enable PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer, in Acrobat Reader before opening folders with *.pdf files the PC doesn't freeze.

I discovered that, when the feature is enabled some *.pdf files (and folders that contained *.pdf files) where not displayed correctly, only an icon was shown no thumbnails. I think this can't have anything to do with their properties, while of other files of same origin and properties the thumbnails where shown correctly, also it were not always the same that were shown distorted, after the PC was restarted and I tried to open the same folder again they differed. It looks as if some thumbnails are just randomly skipped !

Hyve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally:

Only *.pdf (when Acrobat Reader feature <Enable PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer> is on) but no other files generate this error, thumbnails of *.jpeg, *.jpg, *.png, *.gif, *.bmp, *.ani, etc. files are all displayed correctly and don't cause the PC freezing !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please try making Acrobat Reader default PDF viewer as mentioned in the link below:

Associate PDF files to always open in Acrobat or Reader on Windows 10

Let me know how it goes.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

This is no solution, Reader already is made default immediately after reinstalling it.

It is automatically suggested by Reader when someone tries to enable  >Edit >Preferences >General √ Enable PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer !

Hyve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing compatibility setting for Reader and see if that resolves the issue.

1- Close Acrobat Reader

2- Locate Reader's shortcut on the desktop>right click>Properties

3- Compatibility tab>check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for>select Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop-down list>click Apply>OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Shivam,

No, this was not helpful either, it just slowed down the hole process of opening a folder with *.pdf files to a tempo of almost useless, and eventually the PC still froze.

Hyve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Hyve,

Could you please try creating a new user account in Windows and see if that works?

You may follow the steps suggested in the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-loc...

Once the user account is created, login into the account and try enabling PDF thumbnail preview in Reader.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines