5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 5:13 PM by andytothemax

Using delete key causes spinning pinwheel on MacBook Pro

andytothemax Level 1

I use InDesign as a replacement for Microsoft Word because it's a lot easier to create legal documents.  So I end up doing a lot of typing in InDesign.

In an ordinary document with no special content, effects, or configuration, I am getting the dreaded spinning pinwheel when using the delete key during normal typing.  See video here: http://www.andrewwatters.com/files/pinwheel.mov

You can't see the pinwheel in the video for some reason-- when I'm moving the cursor around after making a typo, that's when the pinwheel is appearing.  It's really annoying because the length of time I'm locked out of InDesign is unpredictable-- it could be a few seconds or as much as 45 seconds.  It appears that the longer the document, the longer the pinwheel spins.  This doesn't happen in any other application, and doesn't seem to happen on my desktop computer (iMac) running the same version of InDesign (2017.0 release).  The file is saved on my local drive, so there is no network issue.  I tried turning Preflight off because I thought that could be doing it, but it had no effect.  I'm not the best typist on the MacBook Pro keyboard, so this is a big barrier for me.

I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro and I only have Acrobat and InDesign running.  What could this be?