9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 5:13 PM by jane-e

Can someone help demystify how primary text frames actually work?

ashleyw25736876

Here's the scenario: I have a document that's set up to use facing pages with a primary text frame, and in that document I have multiple facing page masters, each of which is a mirrored layout: for example, the master named "Object Above" would have a text frame on the bottom and an empty graphic frame on the top of the left and right pages. The text frame on the left page is marked as a primary text frame and threaded to the one on the right. This pattern is repeated through all the masters in the document.

Now, let's say I set up a document with multiple pages based on different masters. While the masters are set up as facing pages, they are often applied to single pages in the document-- so a left page "Object Above" could be next to a right page "Object Outside". My expectation is that because all of the masters use primary text frames, when I paste content into Page 1 it will automatically flow into all of the existing primary text frames on the other pages. What happens instead is either nothing (if I have smart reflow turned off) or the document creates multiple new pages based on whatever master page one is (if I have smart reflow turned on).

In order to text to flow as I expect, I still have to manually thread all of the text frames in the document. But I thought the whole point of primary text frames was that you didn't have to do that-- InDesign would just know that any text should flow to the master frame of the next page.

Am I using the feature incorrectly, or just misunderstanding how it works? I've done a lot of digging on this topic but haven't been able to find any answers. If anyone can shed light on why I'm having this issue, I'd be grateful.