5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2017 9:45 AM by kristin joang15917211

Purchased vector image and cannot open or use it

aryoung73

I just downloaded an AI file and used one of my download credits and I cannot open the file. I'm on an older version of Adobe Illustrator CS3 and have not had any issues until now of not being able to open a file and use it.

Here's the warning I get: "Can't open the illustration. The file was generated by a newer version of Illustrator and cannot be opened. Please resave it in a format compatible with your version of Illustrator."

I don't have a way of converting this file and I've used my money to buy it. Now what?

I tried to get support but the 24/7 chat is closed and it's on a Saturday, so no calling. There's no email option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to either have my image or a credit added back to my account. (image was File #: 55251237)

• 1. Re: Purchased vector image and cannot open or use it
          spsb84 Adobe Employee

Hi Aryoung,

We suggest users to use current version of Illustrator to open .AI files/images.

The latest version is AI CC v17 and if you don't have it, you would need to buy it on the Creative Cloud. http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

The error clearly refers to use image on supported version of Illustrator and CS3 being an old product, you would face compatibility issues.

For the image credit being consumed, as an exception we are giving a credit in your account so that you can use this to license different image type or if .AI then it is on latest version. You can verify the credit by signing into your Adobe Stock account.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Simar

• 2. Re: Purchased vector image and cannot open or use it
            aryoung73 Level 1

I am not able to upgrade my AI version or use CC because my computer is older and doesn't support it.

I'm sure I'm not the only user that is in this type of situation. I understand that there's been many updates since CS3, but I've never had an issue with any file until yesterday.

Thank you for putting the credit in my account for a new download.

• 3. Re: Purchased vector image and cannot open or use it
              kristin joang15917211

I am having a similar issue...I am trying to open the .ai file in an app that supports vector images, however, only a portion of the image appears.  I bought files 49853896 and 49618217.  Did you try and open it in an app vs. illustrator?  The app I used is called "inkpad".  Also, why is the chat closed if it says "24-hours a day, 7 days a week"?  Kind of annoying!  Good luck.

• 4. Re: Purchased vector image and cannot open or use it
                aryoung73 Level 1

I didn't know there was an app to use - never heard of inkpad. I did a search on how to open and found a few instructions/videos on how to save them but they did not work - the file kept opening up blank no matter what I did. I need to upgrade at some point, but I want a new Mac and all the design software and that's a lot of money. Saving up!

I know I'm not sure about the 24/7 Chat and it being closed - but it was. I thought that was odd too. Just thankful they made an exception and gave me a credit because I cannot use the file.

You'd think they'd have them saved as EPS and there would be no issues. Typically if it's an EPS it doesn't matter what version. When it's an .AI file is when you run into issues. That might be why I've never had trouble until yesterday. It was an AI file.

• 5. Re: Purchased vector image and cannot open or use it
                  kristin joang15917211 Level 1

Well, I'm coming in way late to the graphic design world, but you would

think that a simple file would be backwards compatible. They can't expect

everyone to pay monthly for using their online driven software model. I

don't think it's fair for artists to have to do that. I'm grateful for the

new apps that make it possible for artists to create digital media without

spending thousands to do so! Glad you got a refund. ✨