6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 2:10 PM by roberth97051602

problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.

roberth97051602

Downloaded cs3 from adobe onto MacBook Pro Sierra 10.12.3 using serial number from my existing disc. Two problems:- 1. - get photos from camera not working, tells me no camera detected. (Nikon D2Xs, and Nikon D100). Raw plug in version 4 installed.

2.- Camera raw window does not open properly when multiple files selected. (Files downloaded on memory stick from previous Mac). No previous photoshop on Mac.

Do I uninstall and re-install cs3 from adobe or is it fixable.

• 1. Re: problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.
          S_Gans Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure you mean CS3? Adobe does offer free downloads of old versions, so I assume that's the newest one for which you have a serial number that works? Please note - that version was from 2007. If you meant CS6, even that version does not run well on Sierra at all. Adobe says that ONLY CC2017 will work completely properly with Sierra (although, I know previous versions seem to, but not that far back). See: Photoshop & Lightroom compatibility with macOS 10.12 Sierra

• 2. Re: problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.
            roberth97051602 Level 1

Thanks for replying. Definitely CS3, purchased in 2007, can open single raw (nef) files some of the time and can process images and convert to other files as normal, but as stated can not get photos from camera.

Bob.

• 3. Re: problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.

Yeah... Sierra's been pretty picky about what it's wanted to work with, it seems.

BUT - you may have good luck with the Image Capture app, to make up for it (I didn't upgrade to Sierra because of these kinds of problems, but I have to guess Image Capture's still in there...) I usually prefer it over using Photoshop's image import anyway - personally...

• 4. Re: problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.
                roberth97051602 Level 1

Tried image capture,- works fine, also camera raw window opens for 2 or three files at a time so I can process files. Wondering if I can get a plug in disc drive and download from the original disc, would this solve the problem.

Thanks for your help, I can get started again.

Bob.

• 5. Re: problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.

Yes! I do that all the time - for a quick way to get my files off the card and into the computer. My older Nikon uses SD cards, so I have a fast SD card reader, and just plug that in and copy to a folder on my hard drive - no real need for a secondary drive, unless you want one.

There's one disadvantage to that though. The files lose their creation date/modification date. NOT in the EXIF - that's fine, but on the computer it only records the date the file was created in the folder. That may not be a big deal for you, but I use this program that lets me correct the dates (and when I forget to change my camera's timezone, the times, too) to match the EXIF data, so it's quick and easy and done. In fact, when doing it this way, I also use a related program to rename my files in batch as well (although, you can do that with Bridge, too). So, instead of DSC_5634, I can name it by date and event. The programs I've liked for this are A Better Finder Attributes (for changing dates and times), and A Better Finder Rename. They're by publicspace.net. I find them SUPER helpful for my personal less-than-on-top-of-things workflow.

• 6. Re: problems with CS3 downloaded from adobe.
                    roberth97051602 Level 1

Good suggestion, my cards are compact flash, will get a card reader. I always rename and date files anyway so dates are not a problem.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Bob Hughes.