2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2017 8:30 PM by benjaminvingrief

Camera Raw Profiles for Canon

benjaminvingrief Level 1

Hello,

My post is to show that i think there is something wrong with the profiles created by Adobe for some camera (5DS / 5DSR / 5DMarkIV), and i will try to explain why here. It's a serious post, and not a whining post etc.

I do a lot of retouching for many camera , and i'm stuck with the raw for 5DS/5DSR/5DMarkIV and not with some others (5DMark II/5DMarkIII/6D for example). No problem with Nikon/Sony at the moment.

My problem is about tonal response curve included in the dcp profiles. The dcp profiles for 5DS / 5DSR / 5DMark IV are made with an "adobe98-look" tone curve. Resulting in crushed blacks, and to much contrast.

Just to prevent some answers : it's not a calibration problem. I'm fine with all RAW for many camera, except 5DS / 5DSR / 5DMark IV, and i tested on many computers, mac and windows. And with different calibrated monitors etc.

How to see the problem :

5DMarkIII :

When I open the raw in DPP (canon), the raw have a srgb look (srgb / srgb).

When I switch to adobe98 (srgb / adobe RGB), the tonal look is "crushed" in black and contrasty.

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in srgb, like in DPP. It's fine so

6D :

When I switch to adobe98 (srgb / adobe RGB), the tonal look is "crushed" in black and contrasty.

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in srgb, like in DPP. It's fine so

5DS / 5DSR :

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in adobeRGB, NOT like in DPP. It's NOT fine so

5D Mark IV :

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in >> adobeRGB <<, NOT like in DPP. It's NOT fine so

To summarize :

For some canon camera, you have edited your dcp profile to match dpp very well (6D / 5D Mark II / 5D Mark III), but for 5DS / 5DSR / 5DMark IV, the match isn't fine, because it is matching an "adobe98" tonal curve, and not a "srgb" tonal curve.

Is it possible that Adobe, makes "srgb look" dcp profile and not "adobe98 look" dcp profile ?

Thanks.