11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 3:51 PM by Newsgroup_User

I don't get what I see

Jens Peermann Level 2
      I just placed my first animated ad, promoting my own business. Naturally, I want it to look its best. But it doesn't.

When I open the file I uploaded to the server using its URL, everything looks fine. See for yourself: http://www.peermann.com/banner.html

But when I look at it on the website that publishes it, there are bad artifacts that look like tiles are not aligned properly. Have a look: http://www.easyreadernews.com/index.php You can't miss it, it's the only animated ad on that page.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here and how I can fix that? Your help is greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: I don't get what I see
          Level 7
          Jens,

> When I open the file I uploaded to the server using its URL,
          > everything looks fine.

Yes, looks good.

> But when I look at it on the website that publishes it, there
          > are bad artifacts that look like tiles are not aligned properly.

My guess is that you're using a few bitmap images in your ad. Nothing
          wrong with that, to be sure, but bitmaps don't always resize cleanly
          (whereas vector artwork always does). I checked out that second URL, and
          here's what I found, comparing the second one with your own:

On peermann.com, the SWF is embedded at 120x60. On easyreadernews.com,
          the SWF is embedded at 125x125, which stretches the SWF's width and adds
          white letterboxing on the top and bottom. The letterboxing isn't a problem,
          but the slight increase in width is likely what's causing your artefacts.

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: I don't get what I see
            Jens Peermann Level 2
            Many thanks, David.

Will increasing the size of the stage - but not the content - to 125x125 solve the problem? I don't se why not, but think it's better to ask.
            • 3. Re: I don't get what I see
              Level 7
              Jens,

> Will increasing the size of the stage - but not the content -
              > to 125x125 solve the problem? I don't se why not, but
              > think it's better to ask.

That would keep your bitmaps from resizing, which would help, but your
              endeavor may prove harder than you think. The Stage will resize from the
              upper left corner; therefore, your content will also appear in the upper
              left corner, rather than centered (assuming you'd want centered).

It might be easier to try this:

In frame 1 of the main timeline, set the Stage.scaleMode property to
              "noScale" ...

Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";

... this can also be set in the HTML, but you presumably won't have access
              to or control over the other domain's HTML formatting. By default, scale
              mode is showAll, which is what causes your SWF to increase size in order to
              fill the available space. By setting it to noScale, you'll keep that from
              happening.

The Stage.align property doesn't specify a setting for centered, but
              vertical and horizontal centering is the default. If you want to position
              the content in another way, such as top right, you would set the Stage.align
              property as well:

Stage.align = "TR";

(see the Stage class entry in the ActionScript 2.0 or 3.0 Language Reference
              for details).

David Stiller
              Co-author, The ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide
              http://tinyurl.com/2s28a5

• 4. Re: I don't get what I see
                Jens Peermann Level 2
                I must be doing something wrong. I am placing the exact script - Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";
                - into frame one of the actions layer on the main timeline, but nothing happens. I refreshed the site several times, emptying the cache very time.

Then I tried the script that comes with the help files - swfStage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE; - without results as well. What am I doing wrong?

The movie is in ActionScript 3.
                • 5. Re: I don't get what I see
                  Level 7
                  Jens,

> I must be doing something wrong. I am placing the exact script -
                  > Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";
                  > - into frame one of the actions layer on the main timeline, but
                  > nothing happens. I refreshed the site several times, emptying the
                  > cache very time.

The code I showed was ActionScript 2.0, and since you're using AS3, you
                  have to get your state reference as a property of the object you're in -- in
                  this case, the main timeline -- so you could use this:

this.stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

or simply:

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

After that, when you make your test, you'll have to purposefully change
                  the width and height settings in your HTML document in order to see the
                  difference. Assuming all works out (and please, write back if it doesn't --
                  I'll continue helping you), you'll of course need to send that SWF to the
                  other person/company hosting your banner.

David Stiller
                  Contributor, How to Cheat in Adobe Flash CS3
                  http://tinyurl.com/2cp6na

• 6. Re: I don't get what I see
                    Jens Peermann Level 2
                    David,

I did as you said, but no results. There is one thing I didn't tell you, though, because I didn't think it matters. The swf file is hosted on my server, not the server of the paper that runs the ad. They just link that area to the URL of the banner on my site. Maybe that is a factor after all.
                    • 7. Re: I don't get what I see
                      Level 7
                      Jen,

> I did as you said, but no results.

Hrm.

> There is one thing I didn't tell you, though, because I didn't
                      > think it matters. The swf file is hosted on my server, not the
                      > server of the paper that runs the ad.

Agreed, that shouldn't matter. Interestingly, the HTML they're using to
                      embed the SWF is this:

<embed src="../ads/peermannlogo.swf" alt="" width="125" height="125"
                      border="0" />

... which is a relative URL. Are you sure they're linking to your server?

To test out my solution, I created a quick test FLA, with the AS3 code I
                      suggested, and uploaded it here:

http://www.quip.net/jens.fla

When I publish that from Flash, and then adjust the HTML to make with width
                      and height larger than the SWF actually is, the imported image doesn't
                      scale. The image is 50x50, but in my testing, I set the SWF's width and
                      height to 120x80. I also changed the HTML's background color to black, so I
                      see the boundaries of the SWF. As expected, the imported image itself
                      remains at 50x50, centered. Does that do the same for you?

David Stiller
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/

• 8. Re: I don't get what I see
                        Level 7
                        > Jen,

Woops! Forgot the S in name.

David iller
                        Adobe Community Expert

• 9. I don't get what I see
                          Jens Peermann Level 2
                          Thanks again, David.

Interesting what you found out about the link to the file. That would explain why my changes don't have any effect on the appearance of the ad. They must have downloaded the file and placed it onto their server. Without letting me know. Maybe they don't know how to link a frame to an absolute URL.

I wonder if just changing the size in their html to 120 on the wide side will solve the problem. If it does, I will just tell them to do that.

Thanks again for your help.

PS.: Don't worry about the missing "s". Worse things have happened to me.
                          • 10. Re: I don't get what I see
                            Jens Peermann Level 2
                            OK, they changed the width of the cell to 120 pixels and everything is fine now. Well, almost everything (there will be a new post about that).

Thanks Dave.
                            • 11. Re: I don't get what I see
                              Level 7
                              Sure thing, Jens.

> OK, they changed the width of the cell to 120 pixels and
                              > everything is fine now. Well, almost everything (there will
                              > be a new post about that).
                              >
                              > Thanks Dave.

David Stiller
                              Adobe Community Expert