Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Bookmarks to Reflect New Page Positions

Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the following post a few days ago: Re-Order Pages to Match Bookmarks​, but I have now run into a different problem related to the same project. I was able to get the pages re-ordered to match the order of the bookmarks by doing the following:

1. Loop through all bookmarks that have a "GoTo" action
  2. Add each page to a new PDDocument object in the order that the bookmarks appear
    1. PDDocInsertPages(newDocument, moveAfterPage, originalDocument, currentPageNumber, 1, includeFlags, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

3. Replace the pages in the original document with the correctly ordered pages in the new document
    1. PDDocReplacePages(originalDocument, 0, newDocument, 0, PDAllPages, true, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

However, now that the pages have been re-ordered, the destination page for each bookmark is incorrect. I have pages labeled 1 through 10. I moved page 7 to be the second page in the document, so the order is 1-7-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-10. But now the bookmark for "page 7" still points to the page at position 7 (which is now the page labeled "6") rather than pointing at the page labeled "7" (which is now the second page in the document).

Is the problem coming from the way that I re-ordered the pages in the 3 steps listed above?

Is there a way to force the bookmarks to update their destination as a page is moved to a new position?

Or is there a way to manually update the destination page for a bookmark when I move the page to a new position?

I have looked in the Acrobat API documentation, but I have not been able to find a way to do either of these.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use named destinations for this. Create named destinations on the pages and use the named destinations in the bookmarks.

Then you can move the pages and the bookmarks will always point to the correct page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I was able to remove the old action from the bookmark:

PDBookmarkRemoveAction(myBookmark);

But I'm having trouble adding a named destination to the bookmark. Here is what I have tried:

// create a name tree to store all of the named destinations

PDNameTree nameTree = PDNameTreeNew(originalDocument);

// the key/value for the named destination

char* name = bookmarkTitle;

char* value = bookmarkTitle;

// get the cos doc for the current document

CosDoc myCosDoc = PDDocGetCosDoc(originalDocument);

// create key/value pair for the current named destination

CosObj cosObjKey = CosNewString(myCosDoc, false, name, strlen(name));

CosObj cosObjValue = CosNewString(myCosDoc, false, value, strlen(value));

// add the named destination to the name tree

PDNameTreePut(nameTree, cosObjKey, cosObjValue);

But I do not see any destinations when I open the "Destinations" panel in acrobat.

And I don't see how to add the destination to a bookmark (using the Acrobat SDK) once the destination is successfully added to the document.

I'm sorry for asking these seemingly basic questions, but what am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a destination to the document and use the destination in a bookmark. After this look at the internal structure of the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what needs to be done, but right now I am unable to add a destination to the document. The code above was my attempt at doing so, but there are still no destinations in the document after executing that code.

Can you point me in the direction of the corresponding API documentation? Or tell me if my code is on the right track? Or am I coming at it from the wrong angle? I can't find anything by searching "named destination".

I am somewhat familiar with the PDViewDestination object, but I'm not sure if that's what I need here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PDF Reference look for "named destination".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code looks like it creates a name tree but does not store it into the PDF. A PDF may contain multiple name trees but the named destination tree is stored in a particular place (probably the catalog object)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Due to an approaching deadline and my unfamiliarity with named destinations, I have decided to go a different route. Instead, I am simply updating the GoTo action for each bookmark to reference the new page locations.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines