Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New PC - worth the upgrade?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I´m looking for a new desktop, because my graphics card is partly defect. So, I wanted to ask, if there´s something important to know considering the usage of Lightroom CC, esspecially the single or multi core Performance.

This is my current System:

i7 2600

16GB DDR3 1330

Gigabyte P67 (1x 6Gb, no USB 3.0)

Samsung EVO 840

MSI GTX560ti (partly defect)

So, a new System should cost under 450 euros. I don´t need an hard drive and case. Beside using Lightroom, it should also run FIFA, but that´s something for another Website.

Looking for a budget System, my current configuration is the following:

Pentium G4560 + beQuiet Shadow Rock Topblow Cooler

Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H

8GB Crucial DDR4 2133

2GB EVGA GTX1050

450 Watt Corsair CX450M

The two questions I have:

1)  Is there a performance boost using an i3/5 or fx8350 cpu instead of the Pentium which is worth the higher Price?

2) Is the upgrade worth it or should I go on running my current System with a new gpu.

Thank you!

Greetings

Tobias

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I don´t live in an english speaking Country. Please be patient.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

The Pentium G4560 is a slow CPU by today's standards, I would avoid this; you would be wise to look at i7 chips. There are also people who indicate that the optimal number of cores is 4 (and that Lightroom for some reason either doesn't improve in speed, or gets worse in speed, when you have 6 or 8 cores).

So I would certainly spent money to get a relatively fast 4-core i7. I would not spend money on a high end GPU unless you have a 4K monitor. If you want to put your catalog and previews (but no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom gains most from a fast CPU and a fast drive - invest your money in these two if you want to optimize for LR.

IMHO, 8GB of RAM is sufficient.

With current versions a gain from a powerful GPU can only be seen when using a 4k or larger display. In fact, with a fast CPU and a FHD display it might perform better with the GPU acceleration turned off. However, this might change with future LR versions with improved code.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Pentium G4560 is a slow CPU by today's standards, I would avoid this; you would be wise to look at i7 chips. There are also people who indicate that the optimal number of cores is 4 (and that Lightroom for some reason either doesn't improve in speed, or gets worse in speed, when you have 6 or 8 cores).

So I would certainly spent money to get a relatively fast 4-core i7. I would not spend money on a high end GPU unless you have a 4K monitor. If you want to put your catalog and previews (but not photos) on an SSD, that's a good idea. But I don't have an SSD, and I find things are fast enough for me. 8GB of memory is fine for Lightroom, although if you are using other programs (and simultaneously with Lightroom), more memory would definitely help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines